View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

That Alice Cooper review was just plain wrong in a few parts:

Quote:
It was the beginning of a truly wide-ranging collection of music which would see him through a very successful period with albums like Goes To Hell and Lace And Whiskey following suit
These albums weren't really successful. They each had a hit single, but I don't see how the albums themselves marked a good period for Alice. Especially since his descent into alcoholism got worse (there was no tour for Goes to Hell, and he had to go to rehab after Lace & Whiskey).

Quote:
Steven doesn’t even get a mention by name
Does he need to be mentioned? He wasn't until the trilogy of songs on the original, and that sort of thing didn't need to be done again. In fact, I think this Nightmare is about Alice. He has repeatedly said "what would it be like if Alice had another nightmare 35 years later?".

Quote:
The album feels like it wants to be a sequel to Dirty Diamonds more than it does Welcome To My Nightmare.
Firstly, Alice has said this wasn't supposed to be a direct sequel. It was another nightmare. Also, I've heard way more opinions that it's more of a sequel to Goes to Hell, but I really can't think of another Alice album that sounds like this.

As for the music itself, I could see how someone could dislike it. There are a lot of reasons this album should suck: auto-tune, disco, surf-rock songs, Ke$ha, and the list goes on. I hate all of those things, but I really think Alice pulled it off here. With the exception of Ghouls Gone Wild (it isn't awful, it's just not up to the rest of the album), every track is pretty enjoyable here. For me, it worked really well as a concept, especially if you follow the story that Alice laid out.