View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Headbanger

Keeping with the trend of great song on greatest albums ever made...

This was another band I found through a Zine. I always wondered how those Zines got distributed. How some dude in Boston could print all these things up and get responses from people in Florida. I'm assuming they would print a bunch up, mail them to local record stores and basically receive nothing in return. All hail those guys. I still have a bunch in a box somewhere. Would be cool to reminisce through them one day...

So some dude in a zine proclaimed Altars of Madness the Best Death Metal Album ever made back in 1990. Being mostly a fan of thrash/speed but a big fan of early Death I decided to check it out. There was a place in Randallstown, MD called Record Theater that defied all odds. It was the biggest Record Store in MD in a predominately black neighborhood and had the biggest Metal section of any record store I had ever been to in my life. I had a guy try to rob me there once with the old finger in the pocket trick and I laughed at him and kept walking. I had 4 cd longboxes in a bag and would have beaten his old ass to a bloody pulp with the help of Sacred Reich, Morbid Angel, Kreator & Flotsam & Jetsam had he not scurried off.

By the way am I the only one who is shocked that unopened cd longboxes go for $300 on ebay? WTfnF?

So the zine guy was kinda right. I'd still rate Scream Bloody Gore over Altars of Madness but that's probably it. Immortal Rites, Chapel of Ghouls & Maze are 3 of my favorite Death Metal songs and between the riffs and guitar work I have a hard time coming up with a better choice. So thank you unnamed Zine guy. Hopefully I can find that copy and give you your proper credit on here someday...

#6 - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther