I'm goin' off gettin' paid and I don't ask why
Playin' beats on my box makin' music for the many
Know alota def girls that would do anything
A lot of parents like to think I'm a villain
I'm just chillin' like Bob Dylan
Yeah I smoke cheeba it helps me with my brain
I might be a little dusted but I'm not insane
People come up to me and they try to talk shit man
I've been making records since you were sucking on YOUR MOTHERS DICK" - Adam Yauch aka MCA

"Derided as one-hit wonders and estranged from their original producer, Rick Rubin, and record label, Def Jam, the Beastie Boys were in self-imposed exile in Los Angeles during early 1988 and were written off by most music critics before even beginning to record their second studio album, Paul's Boutique. Following the commercial success of Licensed to Ill, the Beastie Boys were focusing on making an album with more creative depth and less commercial material. The group's previous album had been enormously popular and received critical acclaim among both mainstream and hip hop music critics, although its simple, heavy beats and comically juvenile lyrics led it to be labeled as frat hip hop. The group signed with Capitol/EMI Records, and Paul's Boutique was produced with the Dust Brothers, whose extensive, innovative use of sampling helped establish the practice of multi-layered sampling as an art in itself. While the Dust Brothers were set on making a hit record, the duo agreed with the group on producing a more experimental and sonically different record. In total, 105 songs were sampled on the album, including 24 individual samples on the last track alone. The backing tracks were allegedly produced with the intention of being released as a Dust Brothers instrumental album, but the Beastie Boys convinced the duo to use the tracks as the basis of its follow up to Licensed to Ill

Paul's Boutique was initially considered a commercial failure by the executives at Capitol Records, as its sales did not match that of the group's previous record, Licensed to Ill, and the label eventually decided to stop promoting the album. The album's popularity continued to grow, however, and it has even been touted as a breakthrough achievement for the Beastie Boys. Highly varied lyrically and sonically, Paul's Boutique secured the Beastie Boys' place as critical favorites in the hip-hop genre, and has been widely recognized as the group's magnum opus. The album's rankings near the top of many publications' "best albums" lists in disparate genres has given Paul's Boutique critical recognition as a landmark album in hip hop."

This is not only the best Beastie Boys album ever but it's also a landmark-hip hop album that is recognized highly by zillions of critics in the music industry. It goes with out saying that the production handled by the Dust Brothers is just absolutely phenomenal. Every single song on this album is sampling another songs from the past. In fact...what makes the production on this album stand out from other hip hop records is the fact that the Dust Brothers soley rely on heavy sampling and the use of taking other musicians
music and twisting it around in their own little "niche". In other words, 99% the beats that they make on this C.D are technically not theirs..per say.

heres a good example of what the fuck i'm talking about..

What they do is take a piece of an instrumental from a "beatles song", a small little guitar lick from a jimmy hendrix tune, layer it in with some random sound bits from the soundtrack to the movie jaws and BOOM You got your beat. The beats and music that they lay out is very original and was definitely ahead of its time. It's just none of the instrumentals on this album were made from scratch...EVERYTHING YOU HEAR was basically made from an artist/musician from the past.

Some would argue and say that "sampling" is nothing more than stealing other peoples music, but It's anything but that!! FAR FROM THE TRUTH, BUDDY! Sampling(as well as jazz) played a huge role in the late 80s to early 90s when it was first being conducted and experimented on by people like Biz Markie or Public enemy. Without heavy sampling or simply "Sampling" other peoples music, we probably wouldn't get thegreat epic classics that we have gotten, like Gang Starrs "Just to get a rep" which heavily samples the same music found in Jean-Jacques Perrey's "E.V.A." Or Biggie Smalls "Juicy" which almost totally relys on the heavy sampling of Mtume's "Juicy Fruit". Meh you guys get the picture. Long story short. "Sampling" is a very important key development AND played a huge role into moving the sound of hip hop during its early carnation up to the late 80s(as well as super early 90s). Sampling brought new doors for people like Q tip and others to take advantage of, and bring in their own new sounds. Sampling is a work of art and takes skills to perfect. Only few of those have perfected it to the best of their abilties and surprass all others in the industry by miles away. Those few people happen to be DJ Premier and the RZA. But what makes RZA stand out from other producers is he actually tries to use little to no sampling at all. Maybe 30% of the time but he mostly makes his music from scratch. Anyways, this goes without question that this album must be listened to by everyone AND more importantly this is the album that proved that Beastie Boys do have a spot in the hip hop hall of fame. Classic material folks, classic
material.

Sounds of Science
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYwDMnbVCw

3 Minute Rule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRULqGkvKk

Egg Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYgPjYggf8

B-Boy Bouillabassie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLllLS1DoVw

Ranked #37 on Blender's "The 100 Greatest American Albums of All Time"
Ranked #2 on Ego Trip's "Hip Hop's 25 Greatest Albums by Year (1980-1998)"
Ranked #156 on "Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time"
Ranked #12 on Spin's "100 Greatest Albums, 1985-2005"
Ranked #74 on VH1's "Top 100 Albums"
Ranked #98 on Q's "Q Magazine Readers' 100 Greatest Albums Ever"
Ranked #3 on Pitchfork Media's "Top 100 Albums of the 1980s"
Ranked #8 on Chris Rock's list of the "Top 25 Hip-Hop Albums"
Selected as one of Rolling Stone magazine's "The Essential 200 Rock Records"
Selected as one of The Source's "100 Best Rap Albums"
Selected as one of TIME magazine's "100 Greatest Albums of All TIME"
Selected by Rhapsody as one of "The 10 Best Albums By White Rappers
5/11 - Saint Vitus

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-12-2011 at 08:03 AM.