View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

The Ocean -- Pittsburgh, PA -- November 7th, 2011

As some of you may know, my friend Chris and I booked this show 10 days beforehand. We had essentially a week to promote, sell tickets, and find openers for this. The following is the result of our hard work:

I got there right when were were able to load into the venue. Mr. Roboto just opened Friday and this was the second show there. The locals arrived and Victims of Contagion, the first band on, began to set up. We had a schedule all mapped out and then the guy in charge that night (venue's a DIY volunteer run establishment) said we had to finish 30 minutes early. 7pm arrived and we had maybe ten people there tops not including the bands, and I was freaking out. On top of that, The Ocean were still on their way there. We had to push Victims up to start at 7:20 to 7:45 and cut all the other local sets by 10-15 minutes each to make curfew. At 7:30, people in droves all of a sudden started showing up. More on that later. Due to having to wait outside the venue for them to arrive (bit of van trouble), I missed Victims set, but everyone inside said they kicked ass. At 7:50ish, The Ocean arrived and we got down to business.

Invader went on at 8 and kicked ass. They're a heavy thrash/death/punk hybrid with a bit of crust thrown in too. I didn't get a setlist, but The Ocean loved those guys. Luc was telling me at dinner after how they were his favorite band he's seen so far on this last minute tour. The crowd really enjoyed them as well, which is incredibly rewarding.

Moths was up next and unfortunately I missed the first half of their set as we were getting some technical stuff ready for The Ocean but once I got to catch the second half, holy shit were they on fire. They play a highly technical death metal style with Chris Hull, the vocalist, pacing around the room like a man possessed. They played a bit long schedule wise, but I can't wait to work with them again.

After a 20 minute set-up that included us setting up an awesome clam lamp with a blue bulb behind them, The Ocean were ready to begin. Right before they started, I looked behind me and the room was filled to capacity. We had people standing on chairs This was one of the most intense shows I have ever been to. Robin, Jonathan, and Loic all were on the floor and the stage throughout the set, moshing with the crowd, playing behind everyone, between everyone, and throwing their guitars around and nearly hitting several people with them. The crowd was so into it the guy who was running Roboto let us go past curfew and The Ocean gave us an encore. Their set was:

Anthropocentric
Grand Inquisitor I
THE CITY IN THE SEA
Ectasian
Stenian (extended middle part for the crowd was so into it)
The Origin Of Species
The Origin Of Man (extended with Robin sliding his guitar on the support beam)
------------------------
Grand Inquisitor II

Absolutely incredible show, but the real fun didn't start till afterward. Before I talk about that, turnout was amazing for a Monday night. We were 10 people away from a sell-out. The Ocean made much more than they thought they would plus killed it merch-wise

So after they finished loading out, we did what everybody from Pittsburgh would do if they were going to take 6 Europeans out to eat would: We took em to Eat N Park! They looked to be in utter shock at the amount of options they had to choose from. When Louis saw that they have tomato juice, he, Luc, and Robin lit up like it was Christmas. Now any of you that have met The Ocean, you know Louis is quite the character. As an Eat N Park tradition it seems after 11pm, it always takes forever for the waitress to take orders. Louis was having none of this and started chanting "BACON! BACON!" until she came and took our order. Louis then grew impatient while waiting for his Chili and proceeded to throw napkins at all of us. Once his chili did arrive though, he went to the bathroom, which was a big mistake. Robin hid his chili underneath his seat and put sugar in it. Once he returned from the bathroom, it took him a good 2-3 minutes to find the chili underneath his own chair. Once our food arrived, they were amazed at how good it was compared to everything else they've had on the tour so far. At 1:30, they left to crash at Chris' place for the night, but before we departed Robin thanked me for helping organize the best Monday show they've ever had and one of the best shows they've ever had in America, then gave me an awesome German hug, as did the rest of the band besides Louis, who shook my hand for 4 minutes

Eat'N'Park For The Win
Nick Cave/Warpaint: 6/16 and 7/11
Slowdive: 7/20
NIN/Soundgarden: 8/25