View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Anthrax -- Charlotte, NC -- November 5th, 2011

After arriving at The Fillmore and chatting a bit about the unfortunate passing of Cory Smoot, Death Angel hit the stage. These guys did one HELL of a job warming the crowd up for what was to come. Unlike the other two bands, DA mostly stuck to newer material, not playing a whole lot of their 80's stuff, but HOLY SHIT did these guys sound violent as hell. It was also quite funny hearing Mark get the name of the city wrong, calling it Raleigh instead of Charlotte . One of the best opening acts i've seen in a while, and i'd love to see them with a longer set.

Death Angel:
I Chose the Sky
Evil Priest
Claws in so Deep
Relentless Retribution
Seemingly Endless Time
The Ultra-Violence
Thrown to the Wolves

Testament were up next, and these guys DID NOT miss a fucking beat. They definitely lived up to their reputation as an incredible live act. From Gene's jackhammer drumming, to Alex's legendary guitar shredding, to Chuck's legendary air guitar shredding , they were in their element. The band played a good mixture of old-school classics, such as "Over the Wall" and the obligatory "Into the Pit", along with material from their two latest albums. This is where the show really started getting violent, as almost the entire floor had turned into an insane frenzy of moshing and crowdsurfing. Fucking amazing, plus they were the only band who got the name of the city right .

Testament:
The Preacher
The New Order
The Persecuted Won't Forget
Envy Life
Over the Wall
Souls of Black
Into the Pit
Electric Crown
Henchmen Ride
More Than Meets the Eye
D.N.R.
3 Days in Darkness
Disciples of the Watch

After what seemed like an eternity, the lights dimmed and the big guys themselves were finally onstage. To say they exceeded my expectations is an understatement. Joey sounded spot fucking on and his voice has aged well. Him and Scott worked the crowd all too well, even though Joey thought he was in South Carolina instead of North Carolina >_<. The crowd was INSANE. Some of the most insane and brutal moshpits i've ever seen; hell, you were getting the shit kicked out of you even if you were OUTSIDE the pit. I was up front and must have been punched and kicked by about ten different crowd surfers. One thing I really loved about their performance was how much of their stuff you could sing along to. There was no way you could just stand there and watch when everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was yelling "AN-TI-SO-CIAL" and "IT'S A MADHOUSE" at the top of their lungs. The war dance during "Indians" was another highlight, including Scott pausing the song completely because he thought there weren't enough people participating. The Sepultura cover was pretty cool too, with Scott doing lead vocals and Joey playing drums with Charlie, even going so far as to throw out picks to the crowd, with Joey prompting everyone to try and hit Charlie in the head with the picks . An absolutely incredible way to crown off an epic show.

Anthrax:
Earth on Hell
Fight 'Em Till You Can't
Caught in a Mosh
Antisocial
I'm Alive
The Devil You Know
Indians
Got the Time
In the End
Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
---
Among the Living
Madhouse
Metal Thrashing Mad
Refuse/Resist
I Am The Law

Unless you absolutely despise thrash metal for some reason, there is no excuse for you not to miss this tour if it comes near you.

Last edited by AnataFan4Life; 11-07-2011 at 09:13 AM.