View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

22. High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
Stoner/Sludge Metal

1. Fury Whip
2. Waste of Tiamat
3. Death is This Communion
4. Khanrad's Wall
5. Turk
6. Headhunter
7. Rumors of War
8. DII
9. Cyclopian Scape
10. Ethereal
11. Return to NOD

Some of you may consider this a rather unconventional choice, and I agree. I wasn't quite sure if this would fit in with my list or not, but I cannot deny this albums power. High on Fire is a difficult band to categorize, they really do have their own unique sound. All their albums are great, but this is my personal favorite, followed by Surrounded by Thieves. I bought this album in 2008, not long after it was released, when I was a freshman in high school, and it really helped shape my tastes and was one of the first 'extreme' albums I bought. This album is just another example of High on Fire doing what they do best, and that is kicking ass, taking names, and being High on Fire. Former Sleep guitarist Matt Pike commands the barrage of riffs and war drums with his raspy screams and punishing riffs. Towards the end of the album, things get a bit more 'epic' sounding, as well as a bit atmospheric. This album is a journey the whole way through. A journey that will leave you with a sore neck and a bad case of whiplash.

Highlights:
Fury Whip
Waste of Tiamat
Turk
Rumors of War
Ethereal
Hell, once again, the whole damn thing, really