View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
N00B

Blue Oyster Cult -- Falls Church, VA -- October 9th, 2011

Went with m brother to the State Theater in VA to see The Blue Oyster Cult. There was an opening band- Midnight Hike. I thought they were not very good. Didn't really catch any song names, but a lot of them sounded the same...

Merchandise-> BOC had one decent design on two colours - black and an olive/drab green. And the smallest shirt size they had was Large... Opener had a CD they were hawking too. Def underwhelmed by the merch selection.

After they finished, we waited a bit, and I talked briefly to the A Sound of Thunder guitarist who happened to be there too (he's a big BOC fan)! Blue Oyster Cult came on a bit- sans Rudy Sarzo who is with Dio Disciples currently. Buck and Eric Bloom seem to be the only original members left- 2 hired guns from Staten Island (I think) and some old dude who apparently played bass with them in the 90s rounded out the rest of the band. They all sounded great, IMO.

I was surprised that when one fan, holding up a menu with something scrawled on it to a somewhat irritated Eric actually succeeded in getting his request played -The Vigil (The uber fan also got his LPs signed by Buck). A somewhat exasperated Eric sat down on keyboards and they started playing it. He asked the bass player if he knew how to play it. I was amused by this as I don't ever recall seeing a band actually take a request that wasn't a plant (or something that they were going to play already anyways).

Later, they mentioned that it was John Lennon's birthday and played a Beatles song to commemorate that. I think that one sounded pretty weak compared to the rest of the show.

My favourites were Godzilla and The Last Days of May (w/ extended solos from Buck and the other guitar player). Every one sounded pretty spot on and the set list was enjoyable. It was a mostly older crowd, so not many rowdy people. It was pretty packed on the floor as well.

I think they could have cut out Buck's OTHER solo and replaced it with any other song. I mean he's a great player, but OK he's doing a slightly longer solo in every song. But I would rather this than a drum solo (zzz). Whatever, it seemed like it was 'his' band now- Eric was a bit second fiddle and wasn't singing or playing too much (or as much as I remembered him playing when we saw them at this venue years ago). Eric's singing on Cities on Flame.. was a bit... off... to me.

SetList:
  • Intro
  • The Red and the Black
  • Golden Age of Leather
  • ME-262
  • Burnin' For You
  • Harvest Moon
  • Cities on Flame (With Rock n Roll)
  • short keyboard interlude
  • Black Blade
  • The Vigil (a request)
  • Buck's Boogie
  • The Last Days of May
  • Godzilla
  • Buck solo
  • Don't Fear the Reaper
  • -----
  • If I fell (in love with you) (Beatles cover)
  • Hot Rails