1. "Battery"
2. "Master of Puppets"
3. "The Thing That Should Not Be"
4. "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
5. "Disposable Heroes"
6. "Leper Messiah"
7. "Orion" (Instrumental)
8. "Damage, Inc."

I’ve been a pretty big supporter of Ultraboris’s infamous essay of how this album killed heavy metal. But I will also concede three things 1) Pieces of said essay don’t hold up and if anything it serves more as an afterword to the Some Kind of Monster movie. 2) While I understand Boris’s frustration with how this album was lauded as the forefront of metal in 1986, I honestly can come up with two much more appropriate nominees for that dishonor: Metallica’s Black album and Vulgar Display of Power. One of those albums is on here, one of them isn’t. 3) If nothing else the album is still listenable. Even Boris said that on a strictly musical level the album is by no means bad. The problem was just despite the fact that there are classic songs on here, the fact is the band sacrificed atmosphere and brutality for, well “Cliff’s hippie tendencies.” I don’t want to ramble on about non-album Metallica bullshit for too long, but I used to own a book of Metallica quotes (don’t ask) and one such quote was from Kirk, claiming that if Cliff had lived, the Load album would have come into existence a lot sooner. I believe that quote more than any sort of lionizing of Cliff from any long-haired leather and denim fellow.

In short, this album is basically Ride The Lightning- lite, no more, no less. Personally I think a good 70% of this album’s acclaim comes from their massive commercial success in 1991. If Metallica hadn’t released the Black Album, this album would not have the heaping praise it does today, certainly it wouldn’t be claimed as the greatest metal album of 1986, let alone of all time. But it’s here, it’s queer, get used to it.

Obligatory song post:
Master of Puppets

Last edited by JRA; 10-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.