View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Headbanger

I was always a big Vio-lence fan. Most of my friends hated the vocals so I remember going to see them live the 1st time alone. They opened for Voivod who I had a hard time getting into but I loved their cover of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine so I went and had a great time. I talked some people into going with me to see Rigor Mortis open for Vio-lence on the Opressing the Masses Tour and that show blew all of us away. OtM was one of my favorite albums for years and I was really looking forward to their 3rd cd Nothing to Gain. Years passed and hundreds of record store trips later, no new cd. I finally found it on ebay and once I heard it I realized this band made 2 incredible albums and just lost it. Many, many bands in that era were being pressured to slow it down and become more accessible and you can chalk Vio-lence up as another victim of that stupid Record Company mis-step.

A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become. Understatement of the century.... Burn My Eyes is a classic. One of the 20 best cd's I've ever heard. I caught them live at a club shortly after and the electricity of the live show blew me away. Nothing in music surprises me more than the inability of Machine Head to headline tours and sell out shows across America. Someday...

#40 - Machine Head - Blood for Blood

Had to use the Live version.