View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Dream Theater WON'T be going back to different setlists every show

Jordan Rudess:

"That’s something that we don’t want to do that much anymore, and right now we’re sticking to the songs we most want to play. I don’t know how we’re going to approach it in the future but I can pretty much promise that no-one is particularly into changing the set every night. What we really value and what everybody could never really do to a point where we were comfortable, was nailing down a show. We have sound people and lighting people and what they really need to do is time everything so that the show is really smooth, and it’s really important to all of us in this period of transition to say ‘You know what? We have the opportunity to really work out a show, so that when we move from one song to another it’ll be really smooth and professional!’ We think the fans will really enjoy it more that way.”

“I think that the show has suffered. I think there are fans out there who value having a different set every night because they go to more than one show, but they’re relatively few, and I think sometimes our performance has suffered because of that approach. There’s a lot to be said for a show that’s dialled in – I mean we’re playing in different towns, so how many people are seeing it from night to night? Only a few I think, so why not just do the same set and work on it until it’s dialled in, so that’s what we’re doing and it’s really working so far, there’s a lot of good stuff. That’s not to say it’s not without its challenges, and nothing against what Portnoy did - he led this band for quite a number of years and did a good job - but we’re enjoying where we’re at now, the music is really happening, we’re running around the stage and we’re smiling, and it seems like the audience seems to be really elated."

20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival