View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
2) I wish I had the spare cash people seem to have. It infuriates me that I have to pass on the opportunities to see bands I LOVE and know their entire discography - but apparently the world is filled with tons of people who can afford to drop $85 to see a show and only care about a total of 8 songs between all 3 bands. What is the fucking point of these people? I mean, I know we're talking about bands that appeal to radio-friendly people here, but come on. The Journey set was practically ALL hits, but yet people still looked around dumb-founded during songs like "Ask the Lonely" and "Send Her My Love". Seriously pathetic.
This has been my biggest pet peeve with concerts for many years now. Trust me, as you get older and the more shows you go to it just infuriates you more and more when you see it. I'll never understand why people will pay top dollar for a band that they don't know much from. If i'm gonna get top priced tickets for an amphitheater show it would be for a band that I at least know three quaters of their material. Otherwise I just don't see the point. A lot of the time tickets up close are purchased and given away by local radio stations, which doesn't help either. So even if you're up in front you're not always gonna be with the educated fans.

I remember when I saw Rush in 2002 and I was in like the tenth row. After they played Vital Signs they guy in the row in front of me turned around and asked me "what song was that?" I didn't say anything for a few seconds because I was stunned by the question. I had never been asked that before or since at a show. I told him the song and the album it was on. I know Vital Signs isn't one of Rush's big hits but it is on their biggest selling album. You would think anyone going to see them would at least have Moving Pictures in their collection.

There's always gonna be people like that at concerts. That's why when I write a review I always make it a point to tell what the crowd was like if they were into everything. Because it's always a breath of fresh air when they are.