View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

1.) WORMWOOD

Okay, 100% serious time now, people. Wormwood is the best deathcore record, ever. No if, and, or, buts about it. It is the best. It is perfect. I love it. You should love it. You should be asking to have this shit played as you walk up the aisle getting married, it’s that fucking good.

“We all come from broken homes/broken hearts and broken bones/we will live and die alone” kick off the first, absolutely crushing first riff of “Beast”. And it sets the theme for the album: pure fucking pessimism. This isn’t happy music, or deep music, or contemplative music, or positive music. Like my second favorite Acacia record before it, “The Dead Walk”, Acacia gives another absolutely bleak message about their views on the world and humanity, which transfer directly into the songwriting. They are, without a doubt, the angriest band I know of. And that is the essence of deathcore. That is deathcore perfection. It combines the best aspects of death metal and hardcore to create the one of the angriest subgenres out there (Vegantopher will probably call me out and say powerviolence is… and he’s probably right in all actuality ). But back on topic: this record does "deathcore" better than any deathcore record I can think of.

This album literally has no bad songs. None. I don’t know where to start, trying to give a couple tracks that stick out the most. They’re all amazing in their own rights. Above all, they are catchy. I love being able to hear a song in an album listen, then while I’m doing something else later, the melody or verse will pop up in my head. The breakdowns are also fucking PERFECTION on this album. This is how you write heavy breakdowns in deathcore. They never get overly slow or obnoxious, like Whitechapel, and they don’t take precedence over the song to try and stand out, and therefore becoming incredibly generic, like Emmure. They are, for the most part, in tempo, and always complement the music/verse/chorus, rather than taking it over.

“Beast” starts it off, and is basically just a pure, 2-minute heavy-fest. “The Hills Have Eyes”, the second song, is one of my favorites, and combines everything I love about this album the most. Catchy and angry lyrics, heavy-as-Ununoctium breakdown and chorus, and an ending that makes me bang my head like a madman, it’s pure deathcore perfection. “Jonestown” is another amazing song, tackling the rather disturbing topic of the eponymous famous mass-suicide from the 1970’s. Again, what it has going for it (other than the smart songwriting), is that it’s catchy as hell. It eventually builds up into an epic breakdown/everyone-scream-together chorus. “Bay of Pigs” is a near-perfect 5 minute heavy-fest. I still absolutely love how heavy it gets at 2:30, yelling out in a haunting build up, “Just because you’re breathing doesn’t mean you’re alive/just because you’re human doesn’t mean you have to die”. 3:15 then culminates into a riff so unbelievably epic that I always make a fool of myself headbanging every time I hear it. “The Impaler” probably has one of the best opening riffs ever to it, screaming out a verse over it that is so sing-alongable that I can’t even put it into words. It then goes into one of the most violent-sounding chorus riffs I’ve ever heard, and I don’t mind one bit that it’s repeated over and over. “Ramirez” is another epic, 2:30 slugfest that gets caught in my head every time. And its incredible live. "Tactical Nuke" finishes it off, a somewhat controversial 5:30 instrumental song. It took me a little while to appreciate it, but I absolutely love it now. It's basically one incredibly simple, yet heavy breakdown, and every couple measures its slowed down by a couple BPM, until it reaches the point where it feels as if every fiber of planet earth itself is shutting down. I commend them for having the balls to put something like that in the album; it really wraps up every heavy element in the album perfectly.

There are just way, WAAAY to many epic scream-along parts in this album that I need to list a couple. I love it with every fiber of my –core loving self.

WE DESTROY THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND/WE ARE THE REASON THERE IS BLOOD ON THE GROUND

I AM THE WHITE HORSE DEATH RODE IN ON/I DROVE THE FIRST NAIL INTO THE CROSS/WE ARE ALL THE ANTICHRIST

HAIL MARY, THE VIRGIN WHORE/I CAN’T FUCKING TAKE THIS ANY MORE/HAIL MARY WITH THE BROKEN FACE/YOU NAME THE TIME I’LL NAME THE PLACE

I AM THE ONE WHO WILL BRING HELL UPON YOU ALL
I’LL STAND AT THE GATES AND WATCH YOUR KINGDOM FALL
ASHES TO ASHES, AND DUST INTO DUST
THIS WORLD IS A GRAVEYARD
I DON’T GIVE A FUCK

Notable Tracks:
Jonestown
Bay of Pigs
Ramirez
The Impaler

P.S. Discussion: COMMENCE! What do you guys think of this album? Do you agree that this is the best deathcore record, ever? Did I leave anything out that you would have included? Do you want me drawn and quartered and my stinking parts fed to the crows? Or have I converted you to be a deathcore moshbro??? Will you slam to Oceano at next Summer Slaughter?!