View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Concert Veteran

Black Sabbath -- St. Catharines, Ontario -- July 17th, 1995

Since we're talking about the Martin era over in the general chat section and BloodoftheKings had no clue the Martin era existed since supposedly we never talk about it here, I decided to post a review of a show on the Forbidden tour I saw

Ave Satani (taped intro)
Children of the Grave
Neon Knights
The Shining
The Wizard
Get a Grip
Headless Cross
Iommi Solo
Rusty Angels
When Death Calls
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Can't Get Close Enough
Childeren Of The Sea
War Pigs
Mob Rules
Black Sabbath
Heaven & Hell

Iron Man
Paranoid
Laguna Sunrise (taped outro)

The first thing I must mention about this show is the unusual venue it took place in. It was a place called Palonia park and i'm not sure if it even exists or has shows there anymore. Anyways there was a big circus tent and that's where the show was played. That's right, Black Sabbath played a fuckin circus tent

I was right up in front on Iommi's side so it was truly a one of a kind experience to see him play up close. Martin did a great job with all the songs and played the harmonica on The Wizard. As good of a vocalist as he is, Martin does lack that frontman charisma that needs to be there to engage the crowd better. But ultimately it's the music and performance that matters most. They did their best to hide Geoff Nichols who played keyboards but I could see where he was hiding on the side of the stage from where I was standing. He did some backing vocals, most noteably the high notes during Headless Cross.

My only disappointment with the set is that there was nothing from Dehumanizer or Cross Puprposes. But it was a well balanced set covering the three major eras of Sabbath's history and that's what is so great about Martin signing for them. You'll get a decent mix from Sabbath's history.

As with the other times i've seen Sabbath, it was louder than anything i've ever heard live. My ears were plugged up for quite sometime after this show and i'm pretty sure being that close to Iommi and his speakers probably did some permanent damage to my hearing.

Special thanks to Joe Seigler's awesome Black Sabbath page:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/

Because of his detailed tour archieves on the page I was able to get the exact date of this show and get the correct order of the set. COTS isn't listed on his set for this tour but I know it was played and it was done in the latter part of the set. So I just took a guess on when it was played.