View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
19. !T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment

Ah yes, the Czech Republic has brought us many strange and unique bands in the realm of extreme metal. !T.O.O.H.! may very well be one of, if not the strangest. The band's name alone should be enough to tell you that something about them will be different! Their music, well...it's pretty inimitable, to say the least. They take the signature deathgrind sound that the Czech Republic made so famous, and proceed to push the musical boundaries into realms not thought possible. Their brand of progressive, quirky, and extremely catchy technical deathgrind quickly drew my interest after I saw them being constantly recommended on underground metal forums.

First of all, the lyrics are not in English, so while I have absolutely no fucking idea what the hell they are singing about, I really can't care when the music is just this fucking GOOD. The vocals...dear god. It sounds like he has an extreme case of the rabies. It's one of the most insane sounding things i've ever heard. You can hear him just WRITHING with spit. The musicianship is impeccable. The guitarists send out barrages of winding, jarring, complex riffs and amazing solos throughout the entire album, yet it's oddly catchy and never comes across as being self indulgent. You can hear plenty of jazz influence in their guitarwork, especially in the solos. They even manage to fit a few clean guitar sections in between all of the insanity going on. The rhythm section is killing it here too. The basslines are a bit more audible than most bands of their ilk, but the real highlight of the rhythm section is the drumming. He has such a clean, fluid, tasteful style not seen often in this style of music that puts many of their peers to shame. Plenty of bizarre fills, and furious blasting. Did I mention these songs are CATCHY? These guys, while being extremely technical, know how to write a fucking song. While the sheer intensity and insanity is always up front, there is an underlying sense of melody that drives the songs. You'll even hear a few SING ALONG parts along the way.

In the end, this band definitely deserves attention from any fan of technical music in general. BTW, "Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru" has the most awesome way to end a song, ever. You'll see what I mean.

Examples:
Al Amin
Analyza Zahnedy
Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru
Abu Hassan
Kali

It's a bit disconcerting when I can tell that they're screaming in a different language though. With most albums, it doesn't bother me, as I wouldn't be able to understand if they were screaming in English or not anyway (example: the grind band Splitter). Still a really good album