View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Meh.

When Mine Eyes Blacken - When Mine Eyes Blacken

From the same man who brings us Exiled from Light, there is this wonderful project. Although some depressive suicidal black metal can be repetitive and boring, this has the repetition, but it's meant to be more ambient. Drums here are the key. A lot of DSBM I've heard has simple drumming, with hi-hat every beat and snare every 2 or 4. I'm not going to lie, I don't mind it, I think it fits well. But with WMEB, it breaks from the tradition and does some extra things. I'm not talking Leviathan-esque drumming here, but other simple stuff, like fast double bass or a fill of all snare. It's really the little stuff here that makes it special. Vocals are typical, he sounds like he's being tortured in a cave, usual guitars with dissonant arpeggios, but the bass is actually audible and present within the mix. There are times when the bass has some cool moving parts that also break from the possibility of boringness. Of course, this may be boring for people who aren't already used to the genre, but with time comes everything. Speaking of time, this is a 48 minute release with only four tracks, the shortest of which is seven and a half minutes. The length of the songs shouldn't deter you though, as I feel they all are the perfect length. Honestly, just listen to it hahaha

Favorite Track:
Secluded Within Sorrow, Solace Awaits