View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Death by Metal

Toxic Holocaust -- Panama City, FL -- August 8th, 2011

Toxic Holocaust and Holy Grail are both bands I've seen before on seperate tours so I knew exactly what to expect before we left. My two friends and I left for a 2 1/2 hour drive to Panama City Beach, and my two friends didn't know what was coming. During the drive we had to stop about half way to fix a flat tire so driving on a spare tire we could only do about 55 MPH which about drove me crazy. We finally get to the venue about 1 1/2 hours after doors opened and a local band called Lost in the Sauce just started. They weren't that good (as for most local bands), and turns out Krum Bums (the opener on the tour) wasn't going to be able to make it that night.

After the local band played I had four (the four original) members of Holy Grail sign my Crisis in Utopia album cover while they set up. I asked Eli and Tyler to do "Fast as a Shark (Accept Cover)", but turned out they didn't have enough time in the end. But when Holy Grail started there were maybe ten people inside the venue. Everybody else was outside smoking and drinking in between bands, but the moment they played the first note, you would've thought they were playing in front of a thousand. They didn't care who was in front of them and before long everybody came in, and the first three rows you saw nothing but hair flying around from all the headbanging. I was front row (as usual), and head banged so hard that I'm still nursing my neck with Icyhot haha.

Holy Grail's set:

Immortal Man
Call of Valhalla
Chase the Wind
For All Eternity
Hollow Ground
Crisis in Utopia
Requiem
The Blackest Night
My Last Attack
Fight to Kill

As for Toxic Holocaust, great band and have always liked them, but Holy Grail just stole the show with how much energy they had. Toxic Holocaust did have a pretty big pit though, and both the bands interacted with the crowd a decent amount. Had all three members of Toxic Holocaust sign my Conjure and Command album, and right above where Joel signed he wrote "Keep metal evil!" which I thought was pretty cool. Both the bands are super nice so feel free to approach them and talk to them if you catch them on tour. Joel just came up with songs off top his head while they played so there wasn't an actual set list.

Toxic Holocaust's set:

Wild Dogs
Reaper's Grave
Death from Above
Bitch
I Am Disease
War Is Hell
Metal Attack
Sound the Charge
Endless Armageddon
The Lord of the Wasteland
Nuke the Cross
10/11-King Diamond
10/12-Suffocation?
10/13-Sonata Arctica

Last edited by justinm4bama; 08-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.