View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Give Me A Dollar or Give Me Fifty Cents!

Anvil -- West Chester, PA -- July 29th, 2011

I haven't seen ANVIL in several years, so I thought I'd venture into West Chester to check them out.

They had 3 local opening bands and all were pretty crappy. I'm pretty up on the local scene and I had not heard of any of them.

First band was Deadbolt and I walked in on their last song, so I can't really comment on them.

Next up was Season Of Mourning. They took forever to set up just to play 5 songs. Their set up time was easily twice the time they actually played.

The final opening band was Stygian. They sounded like Godsmack. No thanks.

Finally after all that crap, ANVIL took the stage at 11:45! And what can I say about them. If you've seen them live you know how great they are. Lips had the crowd in the palm of his hand the entire show. I know the guy can be a little goofy but his heart is huge and his playing is phenomenal. Peeling off one awesome solo after the next. His extended solo during "Mothra" was definitely a highlight of the night for me. His voice sounded a little ragged on a few tunes but it actually worked to the songs advantage. And as always Robb was on point. He got a solo on "White Rhino" and I'm no fan of drum solos but it was monstrous. The guy is just a beast.

They played for exactly an hour and a half. All in all it was a great show. I wish more people had been there, especially considering it was a Friday night, but it was a pretty decent crowd. About 200 or so people I would guess. The people up front around me were having a blast. Singing along, banging their heads and pumping their fists. Us old timers know how to have a good time. Great gig! I would suggest checking them out if they come around your area. It will make for a fun night. Cheers!

ANVIL @ The Note, West Chester, Pa. July 29, 2011

March Of The Crabs
School Love
Juggernaut Of Justice
Winged Assassins
On Fire
This Is Thirteen
Mothra (with guitar solo)
Thumb Hang
White Rhino (with drum solo)
Fuken Eh!
New Orleans Voodoo