Thread: Revisiting 2009
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

EDIT: Shit, I forgot about Baroness! Its in the top 10 for sure, but I'm too lazy to decide where. Probably right in front of Mastodon. Great fucking record, though.

Since I wasn't here back then, I'll throw in my looking back now. Knowing my tastes, I'm sure you guys will find it interesting:

1.) Behemoth - Evangelion
From the outstanding cover to the amazingly fast, brutal, and atmospheric tracks, this turned out to be my favorite Behemoth album to date. Without a doubt my favorite release of the year.

2.) Converge - Axe to Fall
Probably Converge's best since Jane Doe. Incredible record. Near-flawless, in my opinion. It took me a while to catch onto it, but it eventually grabbed and held my attention for a long while.

3.) Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
This is probably the catchiest, most "riffy" and relatable album Nile have put out, but its also one of their best. All the songs are epic and catchy. I found myself singing the guitar parts in my head all day.

4.) Chimaira - The Infection
This album really, really caught be by surprise, and turned me into a huge Chimaira fan. I had dismissed them in the past, and even when I heard "The Venom Inside" on the radio, I though it was very meh. After deciding to download it, though, I found one of the groovies, catchiest, well-constructed metal albums I had heard. It was all I played on my iPod for about a month, and I enjoyed every second of it. Despite me loving the slower, groovy nature of it, I'm excited to see Chimaira return with a faster record this year. They're a severely underrated band.

5.) Mastodon - Crack the Skye
I still really appreciate this record, but it fell out of my listening cycle very fast. It was good, and beautiful, but not the Mastodon I fell in love with. Blood Mountain is in my top 5 records of all time, and this was a total departure from that style. Still amazing, though. After witnessing The Czar live, and having it be the first song I ever crowdsurfed to, this album got a lot better in my mind. Still stoked to see The Hunter return back to their old style this year!

6.)Winds of Plague - The Great Stone War
Great, great album! I didn't like it quite as much as Decimate the Weak, but it was still incredible. I don't necessarily like their image, and I think their newest album might rank in my bottom 5 of 2011, but The Great Stone War was one of the catchiest records to me for 2009. Their ability to meld symphonic deathcore into a listenable form (for me at least) was great. I'll still throw this on every once in a while to work out; its catchy as hell.

6.) Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough
Krallice, surprisingly enough, were the first black metal band I ever really got into, from an article in Guitar World nonetheless! This album grew upon their self titled debut, and was just beautiful. I have to be in the right mood to listen to Krallice, though. Its either the greatest thing I've ever heard, or boring depending on how I feel.

7.) Devil Wears Prada - With Roots Above and Branches Below
Definintely the best metalcore release of '09. Other than the Zombie EP (which is near fuckin' flawless), With Roots is DWP's best work by far. Its incredibly catchy, melodic, and full of good breakdowns. I didn't actually get into it until earlier this year, since I always dismissed DWP as "geh" and "scene" and retarded, but its actually good.

8.) Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate
I blast Black Valor whenever I drive by churches. That's all you need to know. Seriously though, its not as good as Miasma or Nocturnal, but Deflorate was a solid release. I had trouble listening to it all at once, but when it was good, it was fucking amazing.

9.) Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow
Another band I didn't get into until this year. Incredible, and I don't know the exact words to describe it. I haven't listened to this one enough to warrant it higher on my list, but I definitely enjoy the Codex Necro and Hell is Empty more. Passion is my favorite by them though, and will definitely be in my top 5 this year!

Honorable Mentions:

God Forbid - Earthsblood
Job For A Cowboy - Ruination
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Pelican - What We All Come to Need
Ensiferum - From Afar
Immortal - All Shall Fall
Rammstein- Liebe ist fur Allen Da
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire

Last edited by jd091; 07-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.