Thread: Revisiting 2009
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post

2. Goatwhore Carving Out the Eyes of God
I LOVE Goatwhore. This album is just so damn good. The individual songs are fantastic, and extremely catchy to boot. The particular style is hard to pin down but Id say its blackened death metal meets black n roll. My love for this has grown exponentially since 2009.
Yeah, I didn't even hear this until early 2010 and it became one of my favorite albums. I ended up seeing them twice last year and they were awesome live as well.

I did a top 5 on my Last.fm so I'll adjust that to a Top 10.

Original Top 5:

1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
2. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
4. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
5. Suffocation - Blood Oath

Adjusted Top 10:

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
I grew to love this album more and more with each listen, this definitely is my album of the year in hindsight.

2. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
This is Nile's best work by far I think. I've listened to this and Evangelion a crazy amount since 2009. I actually haven't listened to this one in a while though. I'll have to do that soon to remind myself why I love it so much.

3. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
I still like this album a lot, but the only songs I frequently come back to are The Czar and The Last Baron. The Czar is an amazing song though. I've listened to that song a crazy amount this year.

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
I almost forgot this album came out in 2009. I hadn't even heard about this band until summer of 2010, and by the end of 2010 they became one of my favorite bands. Their Mafia EP was my favorite release of 2010 by far. I saw them on tour with Suffocation and I can't wait to see them live again at Summer Slaughter. I'm also dying to hear their new album. It will be Top 5 this year for sure.

5. Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
Like I said, I didn't listen to this one until 2010 when I was preparing for seeing them with Suffocation and DevilDriver and it blew me away. I got hooked on the title track, it's probably one of my most favorite songs of all-time.

6. Katatonia - Night is the New Day
I came very late to the party on this one. A couple months ago when I was seeking out more progressive bands to listen to I came across this band and this album. I had known about them before but never bothered to listen to them until now. I was missing out big time. This is a really awesome album and full of emotion. The final track Departer has some of the best clean vocals I've ever heard (I believe it's a guest vocalist for the part I have in mind though).

7. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
So this ended up getting bumped down. I think this is Dying Fetus' best work since Destroy the Opposition, it's a big step up from War of Attrition which I didn't like much (Aside from Homicidal Retribution and Insidious Repression). But I definitely would have had Fleshgod Apocalypse, Goatwhore and Katatonia ahead of this if I had listened to those at the time.

8. Dethklok - Dethalbum II
I'm not sure why I didn't give this any sort of recognition in my original list. This is the only album I'm adding to the list that I actually listened to in 2009. I really like this album. I got to see them live that year too with Mastodon and it was a great performance. And I will be seeing them again at Mayhem Fest.

9. Revocation - Existence is Futile
Another album that I didn't listen to until after the fact. A great tech death/thrash album packed with tons of awesome riffs. I'm mad I missed out on them for the Forbidden tour.

10. Gama Bomb - Tales from the Grave in Space
I saw this band live at the end of 2010 and they were great. It wasn't until a few weeks after that show that this album really grew on me. It's great, fun thrash. I really love the vocals on this album.

So yeah, Suffocation - Blood Oath fell out of the Top 10. I think it's a good record, I just don't really find myself coming back to it that often. Also an honorable mention for Shadows Fall - Retribution. I was about to make that #10 until I realized that Tales from the Grave in Space came out in '09.

Great idea BTW. I really enjoyed digging through my library trying to adjust this list. Looking back, 2009 was even stronger than I thought at the time.