View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Graspop Metal Meeting - A Review

This was a great weekend. Myself, and 6 buddies, two girls and four guys, started our journey early Thursday morning to this festival. We are all returning parties 'cept for the two girls. It was a great weekend of banter and good times, certainly one to be remembered. The journey takes around 6 hours from Dublin airport to the festival, which is pretty sweet, and is full of great sights to behold, like Antwerp train station.

I seen about 3/4 of the bands I meant to see, which is about right for a festival with such a full line up. I will only post setlists from bands I've seen all most all of in person. The list of these in full is: Protest The Hero, Dio Disciples, Black Dahlia Murder, Foreigner, Journey, Korn, Duff McKagans Loaded, Lacuna Coil, Firewind, Black Label Society, Times Of Grace, Arch Enemy, Whitesnake, Judas Priest, Anvil, Kreator, Mastodon, Avenged Sevenfold, Rob Zombie, Slipknot.

Most of these were great and worth seeing, some not so much. Good haul of signings too, I managed to meet: Black Dahlia Murder, Duff McKagan's Loaded, Dublin Death Patrol (Steve Souza, Chuck Billy!), Anvil, Times Of Grace (I won a meet and greet with them, more on that later). All were very nice guys to meet. I will do my review by day and rate each band out of 5, enjoy!

Thursday was just a party day, we got some beers, chilled in the campsite, then went to the metaldome to party! We stayed there until about midnight, just moshing, drinking beers and having some fun. I got punched in the throat during War Ensemble, it was fun!!

Friday:

Protest The Hero (3/5)
These guys were a great way to start off the festival. Tight as hell and very fun to hear Rodys between songs banter. Perfect performances musically, but boring to watch during songs, but considering how technical the music is, they can be forgiven for such a thing.

Setlist:
C'est la Vie
Bone Marrow
Tapestry
Wretch
Dunsel
Blindfolds Aside
The Reign of Unending Terror
Sequoia Throne
Bloodmeat
Sex Tapes

Dio Disciples (3/5)

Awesome tribute to Dio, but absolutely STANK of a cash in for the artists involved. I enjoyed them, and the setlist was good, but it just felt like a cash in on his legacy considering its so soon after it.

Setlist:
Stand Up and Shout
Holy Diver
Egypt (The Chains Are On)
Catch the Rainbow / Stargazer
Neon Knights
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Heaven and Hell
We Rock

Black Dahlia Murder (4/5)

One of my most awaited bands of the festivals, BDM were the first band I really enjoyed. They were tight as hell and a great band to watch, and their songs translated incredibly well to the live setting. The singer was constantly asking for weed, even at their signing, it was very funny. Also, props for the Star Wars knuckle tattoo!

Setlist:
A Shrine To Madness
Everything Went Black
A Vulgar Picture
Nocturnal
Moonlight Equilibrium
Malenchantments Of The Necrosphere
Statutory Ape
Necropolis
What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Deathmask Divine
Miasma
I Will Return
Funeral Thirst
Blood In The Ink

Journey (4/5)

After some shopping, and half watching Foreigner, we checked out Journey. They were on great form, not quite as good as 2009, but still top notch. They di all the hits, and thats all you want really as a casual fan. Good stuff.

Setlist:
Separate Ways
Ask the Lonely
City Of Hope
Stone In Love
Edge Of The Moment
Light
Escape
Wheel In The Sky
Be Good To Yourself
Faithfully
Don't Stop Believin'
Any Way You Want It

Korn (5/5)

Top class performance from these guys. Always been one of my favorite bands, and this performance solidified that. Great setlist, and the crowd were going nuts. Just a lot of fun to watch, and they played a for a very solid hour, they packed alot into it.

Setlist:
Blind
Here To Stay
Pop A Pill
Freak On A Leash (with a bit of Breathe)
Shoots And Ladders/One
Got The Life
Oildale (Leave Me Alone)
Somebody, Someone
Get Up
Falling Away From Me
Coming Undone/We Will Rock You/Twisted Transistor/Make Me Bad/Thoughtless/Did My Time/Clown
Y'all Want A Single

Duff McKagan's Loaded (4/5)

These guys were great, and if I was udging them purely on the G 'n' R tunes, it would be 5 easily, but I didn't know the Loaded tunes, and as such it goes down one for me not doing my research. They were great though, lots of interaction, and really tight. Duff is a great frontman, lots of love for the crowd, and really made you forget where you were while watching them. They went way over time, but it was very worth it, Dust N Bones was AMAZING live. Top class way to end the first day.

Setlist:
Executioner's Song
We Win
Dead Skin
Sleaze Factory
Dark Days
Cocaine
So Fine (G N R Cover)
Indian Summer
Sick
Follow Me To Hell
Your Name
Lords Of Abbadon
Dust N' Bones (G N R Cover)
Attitude (Misfits Cover)
It's So Easy (G N R Cover)

After that, we watched Iced Earth from outside while eating ice cream and having a laugh. The marquee was too crowded and none of us were huge fans, but it was cool to check them out casually and enjoy the singers last concert at Graspop. The Scorpions sucked, we left early to sleep as they were completely un-captivating.

All in all, a very fun first day, laid back, not much moshing or anything for today. This all changed for the rest of the weekend. I will post day two tomorrow!