View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Just because you see no problem with it doesn't mean other people will. A person can go out and collect Nazi artifacts and view it from the angle you present, but there are always gonna be people who view the opposite and find it inappropriate. By all means, the person should continue his/her collecting since they have every right to, but accept the fact that they're going to get criticized because of it.

Look, I absolutely love history and learning about it, but there are some things that are just more appropriate in museums rather than private collections. It's important to remember the good and bad as you said, but who is remembering it if you're hoarding it in your house? Only you. There's a fine line between displaying something in rememberance and to teach others versus keeping it for personal enjoyment or preference.

Personally, if someone has an obsession with Nazi atrifacts, I see them as being somewhat apathetic to the whole holocaust issue. But that's just me. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this topic.
I was about to say exactly this. I love history too, and these artifacts should absolutely be preserved, no question about it. But if an individual person is only collecting Nazi artifacts, it can come off as pretty strange. I'm not saying that the guy is necesarily a Nazi or sympathetic to their cause, he may just be especially interested in that era of history, but like I said, it's kinda weird. Either way, people will question his motives.