View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I like to think that I'm unique in my tastes.

I grew up on Metallica, branched off to metalcore, moved to Lamb of God and Chimaira, moved to death metal, branched to deathcore, branched off to progressive metal, branched off to mathcore/older metalcore, had a re-epiphany of melodic metalcore, moved to a bit of black metal... and recently I've grown to really love hardcore and "progressive black", or whatever the fuck you call Agalloch, in the last month or so. I really wish I would have liked their stuff 3 months back when they came to Chicago.

My tastes are pretty darn complex. I mean, I grew up as a musician, playing the cello for most of my life and picking up guitar in middle school. I just really appreciate metal that either has good musicians, or is catchy. That's whats beautiful about metal: it fits me, no matter what mood I'm in. Feel like chilling out? Agalloch, Alcest, Russian Circles, Scale the Summit. Feel like driving fast and scaring kids? Ensiferum, Terror, Decapitated, Black Dahlia Murder. Feel like running and working out to a certain groove? After the Burial, Lamb of God, Chimaira, Suicide Silence, Whitechapel, Acacia Strain. Feel like crying when I hear how bad I am at guitar? Necrophagist, Obscura, The Faceless, Anata, Psycroptic. Feel like closing my eyes and taking my head for a spin? Mastodon, Baroness, Opeth, Animals as Leaders. Feel like a catchy tune? Miss May I, Devil Wears Prada, Trivium, All That Remains.

And that's only a portion of some bands I enjoy. The only metal I've tried to get into heavily and haven't succeeded yet is straight up black metal. I really, really want to- I love the imagery, mindset, and passion, but musically I always get a little bored. I'm sure I'll mature into it, though. I can listen to a couple Emperor or Immortal songs, but thats it. I need to take breaks. Hopefully I can overcome that ear-barrier.

I WILL say that all those kiddie-bands- the metalcore and deathcore bands- I like only musically. I hate the image and crowd they have (though my experiences of Parkway Drive and Whitechapel live were both rather good, lacking those kinds of crowds). Oh, and crabcore sucks, and will always suck. Fuck Asking Alexandria.
You're turning into Sepultura69...

and Parkway Drive is decent on record, but they sucked donkey balls at Warped. On the other hand, Suicide Silence were great at Warped, but they suck donkey balls on record. Funny how those things play out.