View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 PM
That Guy

So I'm back for part 2 of this musical endeavor. This is a short one, but it's worth checking out. I'll make up for it tomorrow. Let's kick it off right:

1.) Periphery- Icarus EP

Periphery was one of my favorite discoveries of last year. Their Self Titled debut Long Play album, Periphery made my top 5 of 2010. This EP is to more of less serve for the Title track (Icarus Lives), and it's 3 remixes. As a newer fan of Electronica, I really dig the remixes as they serve a cool new spin on the music. The song also features a new updated version of Jetpack's Was Yes and 4 new songs. It is a great listen and a cool interpretation for what is to come with the band in the future. For the open minded Metal fan, pick this one up!

9/10

2.) Crowbar- Sever The Wicked Hand

Who doesn't love Sludgey Hardcore? Crowbar is one of the few bands that can pull it right. Their new return album is a great return to form. The slow songs are heavy as all Hell, the fast songs have that great Hardcore sound that has a been missing in a lot of bands lately. it does bring back the hay day of 90's Hardcore.FOr older fans of the Metal scene, and for new ones who want a 2011 version of Real Hardcore and Sludge Metal. Check this out!

8/10

3.) Weedeater- Jason...The Dragon

This is a very strange band to me. It's as if Sleep got back together and wrote short songs in the style of Kyuss. Depending on the type of listener you are, that is a good thing or a bad thing. The music is the definition of Stoner Metal. It may be hard to get into if you are not already a fan of the style, btu I'd say this one is a great starter album for the genre.

7/10

4.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis is arguably one of the greatest underrated Metal bands to ever come out of Europe. Their style of Folk Metal, Progressive Metal, mixed with elements of Melodic Death Metal and Doom Metal. Amorphis does it right. I am a much bigger fan of their newer work then their earlier material (That may be sacrilege to say). 2009's Skyforger is one of my favorite albums of 2009, and The Beginning Of Times is just as good, if not better. It carries on the Tradition of Skyforger while adding in a bit of the past work as well.This will end up in my top 10 albums for sure.

10/10

5.) Thomas Giles- Pulse

Pulse is the second solo album from the singer/keyboardist of Between The Buried and Me. His first release was a very electronica style album. But Pulse on the other hand is a very Prog album. Almost every style of music is covered on this album. Electronica, Pop, Metal, Rock, Acoustic. It is a great variety album. I think there is only 1-2 songs that feature any kinds of screams, otherwise it is all great clean vocals. For a great songwriter album, check this one out, it is awesome.

9/10

Last edited by MPF; 06-04-2011 at 08:50 PM.