View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Rocklahoma Day 3 -- Pryor, OK -- May 29th, 2011

What a great weekend of having ZZ Top & Rocklahoma 2 days apart. When I found out that Seether, BLS, Poison & Motley in 1 day there was no way I'd pass that up. The other nights were weak. Friday had Whitesnake headline and that was my ZZ Top night anyway, plus the other "big" bands were Skillet & Hinder. No thank you. Saturday was Staind headlining. Yet again no thank you. Later on in the night Eddie Trunk told us we were the largest 1 day crowd in Rocklahoma's small history. From what I hear it was around 40,000 for the day. This is the best run festival I've ever seen. If anyone has any plans on ever going to this I cant suggest it enough. Day started off with beer in the parking lot. Saving Abel? Hell no. just a horrible band. All I heard was shit music & horrible cliches. Heard them do a half ass version of Simple Man. I almost started missing Theory Of A Deadman from last year and I hated them. Even 30 mins felt like forever.

Now finally onto Seether. Atleast for me they are my favorite "modern rock" out of what's out there now. Hadn't seen them in over 6 years. Crowd loved them as well. It was also nice hearing them do Heart-Shaped Box. Heard them do other covers but not that specifically. Shaun isn't much of a talker. Only time he talked was right before their last song. But I still.enjoyed them. I would have preferred a few different songs and switching spots with Papa Roach but I enjoyed them a lot. Set is correct:

Gasoline
Needles
Fine Again
Broken
Fur Cue
Heart-Shaped Box
Breakdown
Country Song
Rise Above This
Fake It
Remedy

OK I know everyone on here who has 1 band who they saw at their first show they've ever seen and can't hate them no matter what. That's what Papa Roach is to me. They were my first show in '00. I've hated everything they've done after Infest but just can't hate them. Crowd loved them. I really didn't know anything of theirs outside of the 2 Infest songs & their radio stuff. Can't 100% confirm this but I'm pretty sure someone was holding up a prosthetic leg during their set. That's a new one. Tons of energy. Definitely not my favorite band but tolerable. Fairly positive of for the day:

Getting Away With Murder
... To Be Loved
Burn
Between Angels & Insects
Forever
Hollywood Whore
Kick In The Teeth
Scars
Life Line
Last Resort

This is the only real negative thing I will say about the day. I enjoy Poison. They aren't my favorite but I enjoyed them last I saw them in '07. Because BLS was doing sidestage I had it planned to see about 20-30 mins and then go to sidestage to get good spot for BLS. Poison took their sweet ass time getting out so I only saw 2 songs and had to leave. Did hear Poison faintly. All I really noticed was hearing a half ass solos from CC & Riki. Wow and apparently I haven't seen what CC Deville looks like these days but wow the years have not been kind to him, he looked like death walking. Of course thanks to them Black Label was late coming out. Their Roadies were basically sitting on stage waiting for Poison to be over. I'm not 100% of what was played but I'm pretty sure this is correct give or take a song:

Look What The Cat Dragged In
Ride The Wind
Something To Believe In
We're An American Band
Your Momma Don't Dance
One of the worst guitar solos I've ever heard
Fallen Angel
Unskinny Bop
Equally horrible drum solo
Every Rose Has Its Thorn
Talk Dirty To Me
---------------------------------
Nothing But A Good Time

After waiting for what felt like an eternity it was finally time for BLS. For having this being the 4th time I've ever seen them this was w/o question the best time I have ever seen them. Not even close. Zakk came out for Crazy Horse with Indian headdress. Got good pics of that. Sound was spot on and this was best I'd ever heard the vocals. Pretty sad that any kind of physical activity was enforced. A pit or 2 was started and stopped and other activities were also stopped. Pretty weak. When you see the setlist there is 1 glaring exception... NO BALLADS!!!!!! I love the ballads. I like In This River and the tribute behind it but thank God for that being gone. That usually ends up freeing up almost 15 mins in the set. It seems like something hit Zakk and told him to magically start playing off of 1919 album. Bleed For Me into Demise Of Sanity with Superterrorizer outro? Shit easily the highlight of the show. Still kind of an odd pairing as BLS still kind of stood out from the other bands today. This completely makes me forget the bad memories I had from the show w/ them COB & Clutch. This set is 100% order & accurate:

Crazy Horse
Funeral Bell
Bleed For Me
Demise Of Sanity w/ Superterrorizer Outro
Overlord
Parade Of The Dead
Fire It Up
Guitar Solo - Only 6 mins, I'll accept that as victory.
Godspeed Hellbound
Suicide Messiah
Concrete Jungle
Stillborn

Pretty difficult to follow that up. I am a pretty big Motley fan. Last I saw them was Carnival of Sins tour in '05 & '06. Obviously ALOT has changed from them. I will talk positive first. Band still sounded great. I still think Mick Mars is very underrated as a guitar player. He amazes me everytime I've seen them. Nikki & Tommy were good as well. All the comments about Vince Neil.... all true. I feel like I sang more of their songs than he did. He was either late, skipped words, or let the crowd sing. He didn't look like he was out of breath, he just didn't sing that much. That kinda ruined their performance for me. One other thing I laughed at was Nikki was talking about how it was posted to vote for what they would play. What a joke. He said we are going to play something we haven't in over 20 years. I got interested... Too Young To Fall In Love. What? 20+ years? Maybe none of them have a DVD player where they did that song. Its one of my favorites but it was just ridiculous to get hope up and then try to tell everybody it was 20+ years. They were still fun and great end to the night. Set is correct:

Wildside
Saints of Los Angeles
Live Wire
Shout At The Devil
Same Old Situation
Primal Scream
Home Sweet Home
Don't Go Away Mad
Guitar Solo
Looks That Kill
Dr. Feelgood
Too Young To Fall In Love
Smoking In The Boys Room
Girls, Girls, Girls
Kickstart My Heart

Pretty standard. Still a fun day no doubt. Minus being stuck being in parking lot for hour and a half. Amazing day for sure. Seeing Fear Factory and getting to do VIP for them on Saturday. Thanks for reading. Here's link to pics: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=c78970cdfc

Last edited by 300%_Density; 06-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.