View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
# 27

Dying Fetus
War Of Attrition

Ah, the opening 'Homicidal Retribution'. Fuckin great song. I'm a big fan of all of DF's albums. Always brutal, always have great lyrics, and their breakdowns make all these deathcore bands today seem like pussies. I also love the vocal tradeoffs of John Gallagher and Sean Beasley (and Jason in the early days). Neither do anything out of this world spectacular, but the differences play off each other way, and keep things fresh. I know there are several death metal bands who do this, and I think it' a pretty cool thing.

This album is one of my favorites to listen to at the gym. Interesting all the way through, never gets stale, and it always fires me up. I think this album has some of the more catchy rythyms of DF's impressive catalogue. The intro to Homicidal Retribution is a perfect example of this. What makes it stick w/ me so much is it's ability to be groovy, technical, and fast without having any nerd to it. The 3rd track, 'Raping The System' is one of my favorites. A 6+ minute number that begins w/ some awesome double bass and a slowish, groovy guitar rythym. The "slowness" doesn't last long, it get's pretty darn brutal around 45 seconds. Track 5, 'Unadulterated Hatred' is another strong number. I get frusterated when John Gallagher is rarely mentioned among people's favorite death metal vocalists. His gutteral growls are some of my favorite, and he's a hell of a guitar player.

Standout Tracks
Homicidal Retribution
Raping The System
cool write-up. Would be in my Top 15
12/10 - Chevelle