View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Neuraxis
Asylon

Figured I'd do one while finishing my last Wild Turkey before I went out. Going to a lot of shows in Montreal, I was always treated to long Neuraxis sets as openers, as they're from the MTL. I never really got into them, but I liked them enough to check out their shit, and I'm especially glad I checked out their newest release. Much of Montreal's death metal falls into that "Northern Hyber-blast" category that Kataklysm falls into. It gets hated on some, but it's different than straight on death metal, which makes it unique IMO.

The first thing I noticed about this album that stuck out to me was it's ability to be technical without having any nerd metal in it. Ugh, I hate nerd metal. I really dig the overall feel of the album, it does a great job of not being repetitive, and there are some strong songs in the middle. I think a lot of death metal albums drag in the middle. The 5th track, 'Sinister' is the standout track to me. Besides a stupid, albeit very short intro, it features some awesome technical riffs over a downtuned, heavy rythym, a combo which sounded great to me. I also like the 2nd track 'Asylum'. A slightly more technical track, which is still brutal. Their vocals are one-dimensional for the most part, but I'm cool with that, cause they're solid and brutal. To top it all off, these guys are a great live band. The last couple tunes drag a bit, or else this album would be even higher. One of Montreal's best extreme bands, without a doubt. They've taken over Kataklysm as my favorite Montreal band.

Standout tracks
Asylum
Sinister

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)