View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Protest the Hero -- San Francisco, CA -- April 8th, 2011

At Slim's

So after having a nice dinner at Mel's, my dad and I strolled on over to Slim's, to go see Protest the Hero. When we got there, the venue had already opened it's doors, so the line to get into the venue wasn't too big and it was gradually shrinking. Once we got into Slim's, I went over to the merch booth, bought a Protest the Hero t-shirt, then we went to get find some good spots. We spotted some open rail to the far right of the stage and stood there the whole show. From that point, it was only a matter of waiting for the show to start.

At 8:30, the opening band, Tesseract started. They really blew me away. I was already a fan of theirs going into the show, their debut album, One, is one of my favorite albums released so far this year. The guys played really well. Their sound was definitely the best of the night. They sounded crystal clear. Their set was definitely one of the best opening sets I've ever seen. I went completely ape-shit when they played Deception and The Impossbile. After watching them, I was compelled to buy their album.

Tesseract
Nascent
Deception
The Impossible
Perfection
Epiphany
April
Acceptance

After Tesseract, Maylene & the Sons of Disaster came on. They were alright. Their sound was pretty shit though. The guitars sounded really muddy and there were times where one of them would take a solo and I couldn't even make it out. Also, the vocals were barely audible. They had one or two songs that actually caught my interest, but that's it. I pretty muched used their set to give my neck a break.

Now was the moment we'd all been waiting for. It was time for Protest the Hero. Just seconds into their first song, C'est La Vie, the whole crowd rushed towards the barrier, pits started, and people were crowd surfing. It was pretty crazy. The dudes in P-test performed exellently. Practically everything was spot on. It was really neat to see these guys play right in front of me. Watching such incredible musicians is well, incredible. Rody sang really well and was fuckin' hilarious. Everything about their set was awesome. Best performance I've seen all year.

Protest the Hero
C'est La Vie
Wretch
Bone Marrow
The Reign of Unending Terror
Dunsel
Turn Soonest to the Sea
No Stars Over Bethlehem
Sex Tapes
Limb From Limb
Blindfolds Aside
Sequoia Throne