View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I was hardcore dancing in the middle of the old Peabody's (the one in the Cleveland Flats, not the current one which is behind the Rascal House at CSU), and doing karate kicks off the stage and into the crowd at Whitechapel when they were on tour for their "The Somatic Defilement" album in 2007. My first mosh pit was probably at a show with Job For A Cowboy and Chelsea Grin (or was it Annotations of an Autopsy? or maybe both? I don't remember.) back when Jonny Davy founded JFAC and was on tour for their first album.

In fact, speaking of Jonyy, he threw me off the stage once at a show where he and a couple of guys named Mitch, Mark and Chris of this little thrash band called Suicide Silence were up there doing a song called "Wake Up". Heard of it? In fact, I think I have a guitar pick from Mark somewhere, too. Maybe it was a JFAC show, maybe Suicide Silence. That was a long time ago - who the hell knows.

I have a dollar bill signed by Canizaro back when Born of Osiris was touring for a little album called "The New Reign". I saw Emmure on three different tours in the '00s, the last of which was for a little album called "Felony". I saw Winds of Plague on three different tours before "The Great Stone War" was even released (and by the way, I have their first four albums - including "The Great Stone War" - on fucking used second-hand vinyl). I listened to Carnifex while Kevin Vargas was IN THE BAND - not running around the country doing concerts with band he named after himself or spoken-word gigs alone on a stage with a mic.

I saw Bring Me The Horizon on tour for Count Your Blessings - ONE OF THE BEST DEATHCORE ALBUMS EVER MADE (in fact, that was the first CD I ever bought - back when CD's were still available). I saw Despised Icon on tour for "Consumed By Your Poison". I saw The Acacia Strain on tour for "3750". I saw Devin Shidaker five-plus years before he ever picked up a guitar for Oceano, playing in Rose Funeral when they were on tour for "I Love Uno".

Speaking of Oceano, I remember the day that "Depths" came out...a bunch of friends and I were fighting invisible ninjas at the local playground and we damn near wore the fucking MP3 out playing it on somebody's Mac laptop. I think we went through about a dozen batteries that day.

Hell - I've probably had more deathcore / melodic metalcore / dubstep / crunkcore / ICP albums LOST OR STOLEN FROM ME than you've ever owned.

So you know what? You're not going to have much luck trying to correct me on old school shit, bro.

The problem with somebody your age trying to fuck with somebody my age about deathcore / metalcore history is that you've only downloaded it, listened to the re-issue or read about it on the Internet - I WAS FUCKING THERE.

The Nat
Trendy as fuck before many of you were even born.
Fixed
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch