View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Did somebody say Fair Warning? Lord strike that poor boy down!

The first thing I look at is the song list. How does it relate to the band? to me? Does it represent what the band is trying to accomplish? What era are the songs from.

At first listen, I immediately got the impression that Stryper really loved these songs and had a huge impact on their career. Looking deeper, maybe this is why I liked them so much in the 80's... because they had such similar influences. In fact, I'd be surprised if I didn't have a mix tape with all of the songs on it, save the one original tune.

I've listened to the whole album a few times now, some songs more than others (see asterisks for my favorites so far) and it's definitely worth a listen. The representations here are stellar... true to the original with a little Stryper-ization... but not too much; for instance, additional harmonies, duel guitars (where usually only one is present), a slightly different drum beat or guitar riff. The fact is, the guys in Stryper are great musicians, with great taste in music, and they really make these songs fun to listen to.

Below are the songs on the album. I'll be adding commentary on each as I get time. Unfortunately, I've been tasked with a bunch of stuff at work this week so, it will take me a bit longer than I originally hoped. Til next time, as I mentioned above, the songs with the asterisks next to them are in heavy rotation, with Heaven and Hell, Lights Out, and On Fire leading the way.

1. Set Me Free - Sweet**
2. Blackout - Scorpions
3. Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath***
4. Lights Out - UFO**
5. Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
6. Highway Star - Deep Purple
7. Shout It Out Loud - KISS*
8. Over The Mountain - Ozzy*
9. The Trooper - Iron Maiden
10. Breaking The Law - Judas Priest
11. On Fire - Van Halen***
12. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin***