View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
One who onions things

Motörhead -- San Francisco, CA -- February 2nd, 2011

A friend and I went to the show for his 20th birthday, and it was easily the manliest experience I've ever had. Once we hit the Warfield, we ran into this super cute girl we met at Armored Saint last October. She was rocking patches from all of the big Teutonic Thrash bands, and worshiped Clutch. If she wasn't 5 years older than me I may have fallen in love. The three of us spent 15 minutes talking music (and my amazing Clutch setlist from last Sunday).

Valient Thorr gave yet another fantastic opening performance. As I said in my review of them earlier this week, they deserve all the success they can get. I have never seen a band where every member is so animated and energetic as these guys, and where the music is just as good. I talked with their bassist after the show and bought their latest album, Stranger. As expected, it's a killer album filled with good-time rock and roll. Get it!

Clutch was great as expected. They were better in San Luis Obispo last week only because they played a full set and because Neil's voice was a tad stronger then. The first four songs seriously scared me because it was close to the order of the SLO show. I really thought that I was just going to get a repeat of the previous show. Leave it Clutch to throw that fear out the window. No songs from Beale Street, but that's okay since I saw four songs the previous Sunday. Gravel Road and Mice and Gods were great surprises, and the jam ending of Gravel Road was something truly spectacular to witness. Simply awesome.

1. Slow Hole to China
2. Pure Rock Fury
3. Struck Down
4. 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
5. Immortal
6. The Dragonfly
7. The Mob Goes Wild
8. Animal Farm
9. Mice and Gods
10. Gravel Road

And now, the main act. Motorhead delivered exactly what I wanted and expected. Except Born to Raise Hell I wanted to hear that song so badly, but I guess it's just more justification to see them again. But seriously, Europe get this whole setlist PLUS Born to Raise Hell? NOT FAIR! I would have liked to hear Bomber too, but I dislike how they've gone back to the original mid-tempo studio version instead of the live double-bass speedfest that they used to do in the 80s. Oh well. I headbanged my ass off during Rock Out, Overkill, Ace of Spades, We Are Motorhead, and especially Killed By Death. The place went nuts as soon as those opening chords to Killed By Death started. I absolutely loved Phil's playing far more than three years ago when I saw them open for Judas Priest. His tone had this super "bouncy" sound that really complemented Lemmy's bass. His solos seemed a lot better than last time too. And Mikkey Dee, WOW. He played pretty modestly for the most part, but when he showed off, he seriously was a wild animal unleashed. When he did utilize his abilities, he sounded massive and nuts. When he let the double bass loose and smash on the china cymbals for a few short seconds, you noticed and you were wowed. His drum solo was amazing to watch from a technical stand-point. The speed and dexterity he possesses is truly something else. And I couldn't say anything about Lemmy that hasn't been said before. Still fills up more aural space with his bass than most guitarists. Still sounds exactly the same. Still motherfuckin' Lemmy. Oh yeah, Metropolis seriously needs to be retired. Wasn't a good song then, and it ain't a good song now. If it's gotta be off of Overkill, then give me No Class.

1. We Are Motörhead
2. Stay Clean
3. Get Back In Line
4. Metropolis
5. Over the Top
6. One Night Stand
7. Rock Out
Guitar Solo
8. The Thousand Names of God
9. I Got Mine
10. I Know How To Die
11. The Chase Is Better Than the Catch
12. In the Name of Tragedy (With Drum Solo)
13. Just 'Cos You Got the Power
14. Going to Brazil
15. Killed by Death
16. Ace of Spades
ENCORE
17. Overkill
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16