Thread: 5 day festival
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
How are those bands obscure? When I think obscure I think of bands that's albums aren't even sold in indie record stores. I've seen Nevermore and Avantasia cd's on the shelves at Best Buy.
Yeah Nevermore is so popular. When I see them in April they're gonna be playing this little dive place that fits about 300 people. They're really filling them venues up aren't they

Nevermore is known to the diehard metal fans like us but to the rest of the metal fans out there, not at all. I've had plenty of conversations with metal fans who know their stuff and when I mention Nevermore more often then not the answer comes back "who?". Their albums hardly chart in the US and when they do it's usually low and it falls out of the top 200 the next week.

In a country of 320 million people where your albums only sell maybe 40 to 50 thousand copies each, that's obscure if you ask me. Nevermore was even less known before 2005. Getting on the Gigantour that summer was huge for them and it got them exposure they never had before and gave them the biggest popularity boost of their career.

Avantasia is even more obscure than that. Their albums don't appear on the charts here and they don't tour the US so that doesn't raise their profile at all. Just because the albums are on the shelves at best buy doesn't mean everyone is buying them.