View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
In Search of Truth

Maiden33's 2010 Thread

I wasn't gonna do it, I was hell-bent on not posting it because I figured no one cared and the board didn't need more, but like EVERYONE is doing it at this point, so why not. Not planning on doing any little awards or other lists, just my top 30 albums, with very short write-ups. I'm gonna start with albums 30-21.

30.Y&T - Facemelter

Favorite Songs: I'm Coming Home, On With the Show, Blind Patriot
A pretty solid comeback album. Dave Meniketti still plays his ass off on every song, and there's a couple of real gems here. Sadly there's definitely a couple of absolute duds that are full of bad 80s hard rock cliches. This album would've been outstanding if they would've made it like 3 songs shorter.

29.Ken's Dojo - Reincarnation
Favorite Songs: Forever, Set This Angel Free, Keeping the Flame Alive
A bit of a random selection, as I'm sure most people reading this have no idea what this is. All you need to know is that Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus), Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind), and Glenn Hughes all did guest vocals on this CD. A bit inconsistent, but when a few absolute dynamite tracks that I love.

28.James Labrie - Static Impulse
Favorite Songs: One More Time, Jekyll and Hyde, Mislead
Certainly the oddball of my list. When I heard "One More Time" the first time, I hated it. I'm admittedly not a fan of of growling, and this CD took a good while to grow on me. But when I put my predispositions aside, I really enjoy the majority of this disc, growls and all. I think it's pretty well done for what it is, and in the right mood, I love it.

27.Firewind - Days of Defiance
Favorite Songs: The Ark of Lies, Kill in the Name of Love, World on Fire
I have to confess I think this seems kinda phoned in by the standards of what I expect from Firewind. There's a couple of real gems here as good as anything they've done before, but definitely a number of obvious filler tracks. It's good, but it's not great.

26.Masterplan - Time to Be King
Favorite Songs: Fiddle of Time, The Dark Road, Far From the End of the World
Sadly, this was a bit of a disappointment to me. Jorn Lande's return seemed to promise something a bit more monumental than this. Definitely a number of fantastic tracks, and I absolutely love Masterplan being exactly what they are - but I think this album is like 1 or 2 amazing tracks shy of measuring up to what I expected.

25.Tarot - Gravity of Light
Favorite Songs: Rise!, Gone, I Walk Forever
This was actually my introduction to this fairly old band. I actually really enjoy Marco Heitela's vocals, and this disc overall really impressed me. I could do without some of the more plodding-type tracks, but I really enjoy the majority of this album.

24.Royal Hunt - X
Favorite Songs: The Well, King For a Day, Shadowman
This was Royal Hunt's attempt at a bit of a 70's throwback album, and overall they achieved that, though it's still undeniably Royal Hunt. Collision Course was a top 3 CD of 2008 for me, so overall this IS a disappointment, but Royal Hunt hardly ever actually disappoints, and Mark Boals has assimilated to this band perfectly.

23.Star One - Victims of the Modern Age
Favorite Songs: Digital Rain, Earth That Was, Human See-Human Do
Arjen Luccassen delivers a fairly typical Arjen Lucassen album. Star One is actually my favorite of all of his efforts, though I think overall this falls a hair short of the debut, "Space Metal". There's a couple of unbelievably great tracks on this, but the album as a whole falls a tad short of my expectations.

22.Anthriel - The Pathway
Favorite Songs: Haven of Grace, Dark Divided Minds, Chains of the Past
An upstart Progressive Metal band from Finland, very much in the style of Symphony X. Songwriting is kinda sketchy at times but overall a great debut with tons of potential.

21.SoulSpell - The Labyrinth of Truths

Favorite Songs: Into the Arc of Time, Adrift, Amon's Fountain
Pretty great Metal Opera-style effort with some really sweet guest appearances from Zak Stevens/Jon Oliva (Savatage), Iuri Sanson (Hibria), and Renato Tribuzy. Also features some really fantastic female vocals.