View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

You're gonna have to forgive me guys, my review for album #3 is on my dad's laptop, so I'm only posting up #4 tonight. It should be a good one though, I doubt many of you have heard it.

4. haarp- The Filth

First things first. I HATE doom. Cannot fucking stand it one bit. Yet I simply adore this album. And, frankly, I have no idea why. I mean, from what I've read online, it's not even that original or anything.

These guys are from New Orleans. You may not know any of the members (I don't think their old projects were very well-known) but Phil Anselmo produced this bad boy and even released it himself on his own record label. It of course has the dirty NOLA sludge sound; that should be expected.

The songs here are mostly 8 minutes long a piece, and yes, they all sound the same. Yet they all sound awesome, so I can forgive the band this time There are enough fast parts to keep me interested, too. And from what I remember, the drumming is pretty sick.

Basically, this album sounds like you're being dragged through the swamps of Louisiana with a 50-foot cinder block on your back after being chained to a tree as the winds of Hurricane Katrina rip you apart limb from limb. In the best way possible, of course

--------

Now that I think about it, I'm gonna post up some of my honorable mentions. I think the traditional way is to post the honorable mentions after the entire list is posted, but fuck that, we're all nonconformist metalheads here

Cardiac Arrest- Haven for the Insane

nice slab of OSDM (old school death metal). All the songs sound the same and they're barely memorable, but the guitar tone is wicked.

Nails- Unsilent Death

awesome grind/hardcore in the vein of Trap Them, Early Graves, The Secret, etc. A bunch of sick Dismember riffs as well. Alas, this record is only 14 minutes so I can't in good conscience put it on my list.

Trash Talk- Eyes and Nines

Initially I avoided this band because I knew that a lot of people my age like them (I was 17 at the time). But that was a mistake. Look, there comes a time where we all have to admit that deathcore fans would probably like the music we listen to if they were introduced to it. They're just too lazy to seek it out.

Anyways, this is very tasty hardcore. Very fun record. Also, you know how most grind/hardcore bands these days usually have one song on their album that's just a doom song? It's like a obligatory tradition for them, it seems. Anyways, Trash Talk pull of one of the best doom songs I've heard from a grind/hardcore band (the best being Trap Them's "Mission Convincers," of course). You'll know when it you hear it.

Like Nails, I couldn't in good conscience put this record on my list because of the length. I feel particularly guilty about it, too. I've listened to this album about 20 times since this summer. The first time I listened, I knew it was going on my end-of-the-year list. I just knew it.

more honorable mentions coming up later.