View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Loganarchy's favorite albums of 2010, etc.

The 5 Most Disappointing Performances of the Year
*measured by extent to which I was disappointed, not the shittyness of the performance itself*

5. All Shall Perish @ Masquerade- Heaven
Summer Slaughter

Yes, I admit it. For a deathcore band, I’m quite fond of All Shall Perish. But they were pretty shitty live. Well, no, I take that back. They were probably the shittiest band at Summer Slaughter, with The Faceless a close second. I dunno if they sounded weak per se, but something about their live performance made me question why I had ever liked them in the first place. They definitely did not transcend the deathcore genre on stage.

4. Megadeth @ Tabernacle
Megadeth, Testament, Exodus

I knew that Cumstaine’s vocals weren’t very good anymore (which is why my friend and I passed on the tour with High on Fire a couple years back, before I knew about High on Fire). But I did not realize how bad they actually were. The band sounded horrible as well (maybe bad sound? I doubt it). Then he went blabbering on about his childhood for about ten minutes. What a douche.

3. Exodus @ Masquerade- Heaven
Exodus, Malevolent Creation, Holy Grail, Bonded by Blood

I enjoyed these guys a lot when I saw them with Megadeth. Honest to Satan, I did. However, they just flat out blew this time. I think the sound was off as well, but I finally did realize the extent to which Rob Dukes is a douche. I mean, I don’t think he’s a particularly mean guy, but he’s just a fucking loser, with his anti-terrorist t-shirts and rants. I like him the best out of all the Exodus frontmen, but I still think he’s pretty annoying. And what a shitty setlist! I’m glad they did “Children of A Worthless God,” but c’mon, no “A Lesson in Violence”?

2. Between The Buried and Me @ Masquerade- Heaven
Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Scale the Summit

All their songs sounded the same live, despite the fact that they clearly don’t on record. And the crowd…don’t get me started on them.

1. Slayer @ Alcatraz (Milan, IT)
@ Tabernacle
Slayer, The Haunted
Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax

You can read all about in my review (it’s a good, lengthy one), but here’s the short version: This summer, I was on vacation in Italy at the time with my family, and Slayer was playing in Milan (through which we had originally planned to pass on the train). So I saw my favorite band. And they were not as good as I expected. Not nearly as good. True, I had set my expectations way too high….but really, Slayer? Really? For the next few months I was convinced that it was the sound that sucked, not the band itself. When they rolled through Atlanta with Megadeth, I went to find out whether my theory was correct. Still hard to say, but I’m guessing No. They were still terrible. I mean, this place wasn’t particularly known for having good sound, either, but that would be a bit of a coincidence, don’t you think?

Last edited by larvtard; 12-28-2010 at 10:05 PM.