View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 07:36 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
I feel like production tends to be one of the more subjective parts of listening to metal, especially black and death. For every guy who wants a nice crisp black metal sound you get a guy who wants a really lo-fi production.
I guess I'm one of those who doesn't "get" the low-fi production in black metal. It doesn't make any logical sense to me why bands would want to do that.

That being said, the other day I was listening to some Satanic Warmaster on myspace, and I finally understood the "atmopshere" concept. The loudest, most dominant thing I heard in the mix was the atmosphere (kinda sounded like Agalloch, actually), and buried way under that was the actual guitar and drums. I didn't really dig that concept, but I can see other people digging it.

But most black metal bands I listen to don't even achieve that type of atmosphere. It just sounds like they're using shitty production so that they can save money to spend on copies of the Satanic Bible or whatever. A good example is Black Witchery. I downloaded their 2000 album, I think, and it sounded awesome on my computer. Then I synced it to my iPod and played in the car, and it sounded so weak. That really pissed me off.

Sorry about that long rant. I had to get it out somewhere, and this thread seemed like an okay place to do that.