View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

48.Black Tusk-Taste The Sin

Black Tusk had been getting a lot of hype, being a huge sludge fan, I checked them out. There is nothing really wrong with Taste The Sin, it's just that nothing really stands out. Black Tusk is pretty much a poor man's Baroness or Kylesa. There are some solid riffs and nice grooves, but for the most part it's just a subpar sludge record that isn't anything special.
Standout Tracks
1.Unleash The Wrath
2.Snake Charmer
3.The Takeoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

44.Kylesa-Spiral Shadow

I was really looking forward to Spiral Shadow. Their previous release, Static Tensions, was a great record and one of the best of 2009. Sadly, Spiral Shadow doesn't really cut it. A good of majority of the tracks just didn't click with me(especially "Forsaken" and "To Forget"). I found it to be way too artsy at times and that the side of Kylesa I don't really enjoy. The tracks that do work well("Tired Climb","Crowded Road") are just as good as the stuff on Static Tensions. Spiral Shadow was the biggest dissapointment of 2010 for me. I hope Kylesa's next record goes back to a more sludgey sound.

Standout Tracks
1.Tired Climb
2.Crowded Road
3.Spiral Shadow
I liked both of these albums a lot - especially Kylesa. I will submit that I thought Spiral Shadow was a huge step backwards for Kylesa at first, but on further listens I realized that it was a very good album and that they were pushing themselves further creatively, so of course it didn't sound like Static Tensions, because it was in fact an effort to improve or build upon that sound. I still enjoy Static Tensions more overall, but Spiral Shadow is my second favorite Kylesa album, and that's saying a lot as I'm a big fan of theirs these days.

By the way, Black Tusk and Kylesa are both from the same (Savannah, GA) metal scene , and they know each other very well. Black Tusk is also friends with Baroness, and their album cover is yet another piece of awesome by John Baizley, so the fact that you compared Black Tusk to these bands is either a really big coincidence, a reflection that you have a really good ear for music, or just a confirmation that you already knew this.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.