View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

It's time for my EP rankings. I heard 4 this year and I liked all of them actually. Without further ado, here they are.

4.The Devil Wears Prada-Zombie EP

Like I have mentioned before, The Devil Wears Prada is one of my guilty pleasures. After their so-so last effort With Roots Above and Branches Below, I had pretty much written them off as a band. Zombie EP came as a surprise for sure. It's a lot heavier and faster than any of their previous stuff. I like the overall direction this record takes and if they drop their horrid clean vocals, I think I would like their stuff alot more. Zombie EP is a pretty good effort that is the best material The Devil Wears Prada has released since their debut.
Standout Tracks
1.Revive
2.Escape
3.Anatomy

3.Chiddy Bang-The Preview

Chiddy Bang is one of the most promising young rap acts around. They sample the likes of MGMT and Passion Pit with their beats and add some creative spins on them. Lead Rapper Chiddy has pretty damn good lyrics and a great flow. With exception of opening track, "The Good Life", which is a dud, The Preview is a solid debut EP and shows the potential that Chiddy Bang has.
Standout Tracks
1.All Things Go
2.Here We Go
3.Opposite Of Adults

2.Atmosphere-To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade Holy:The Atmosphere EP's

Atmosphere's double EP features 11 tracks, so it really feels like a full length. As usual, the beats are top notch. Ant's arsenal of unique and killer beats is not going to run out any time soon. Slug's rhymes are as candid and smart as ever. Atmosphere steps to the plate yet again and releases another great piece of music.
Standout Tracks
1.Shotgun
2.Hope
3.Freefallin'

1.Fleshgod Apocalypse-Mafia

One of the best discoveries of 2010 for me was Fleshgod Apocalypse. Their brand of brutal tech-death is just astonshing. The drumming is inhuman, the guitarwork is fast and prescise and the vocals are brutal. The 4 original tracks and their excellent cover of "Blinded By Fear" by At The Gates are all punshing and wonderful pieces of death metal. This band just really,really impressed me and fans of tech-death should check this band out ASAP. Mafia is a thunderous spectacle that takes the crown of EP of the year for me.
Standout Tracks
1.Thru Our Scars
2.Conspiracy Of Silence
3.Blinded By Fear
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/