View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
They are assholes. Their music is pretty neat.
But you seem to have a problem with any over the top black metal stuff, and it's obviously not meant for you. The only problem I have with them is that they kill animals, as far as I'm concerned other than that they can and SHOULD do whatever the fuck they want, including having 'rituals' onstage, throwing blood etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Well, I love Watain's music, so thanks for that.
Look, I don't know shit about their music except that they're apparently on the more interesting end of the black metal spectrum. But at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to care. If they kill animals and display the carcasses for show, they're assholes. And if it's not just for show -- if it's because they truly believe in their hearts that killing small defenseless things for the hell of it is truly right, then fuck them even more.

I mean, this has a bearing on their art. If they make up nifty riffs or whatever, but it's all in the service of some bullshit "evil" trip that includes actually causing pain and death, then I can't get behind any part of the music. I can't say "well, they're assholes, but it sure sounds good." It's the same deal I have with Eminem, in a way -- sure he's smart as hell, sure his rhymes are tight, but he uses them to spit misogynist homophobic shit, so fuck him. I don't want any part of it.

As for "black metal stuff" in general, mostly I think it's just fucking silly. You're right, it's not for me. All the corpse paint and medieval weaponry and grimness and Black Speech of Mordor and ritual satanism -- it just makes me laugh, but to each his own.

As for the musical genre itself, whatever. I've never heard any I liked much, but I've actually been trying to give some of it another shot -- checking out Ludicra and Alcest, for instance, and the Gin album from last year, since people seem to think these are so great. It sure seems like most of the emerging, interesting bands have more going on, in their lyrics and attitude, than this ridiculous satanic posturing.