View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Optic

Blind Guardian -- New York, NY -- November 20th, 2010

Might be slightly out of order, but this is how I remember it.

Sacred Worlds
Welcome to Dying
Born in a Mourning Hall
Nightfall
Fly
Time Stands Still
Time What is Time
This Will Never End
Cry for Tanelorn
Lord of the Rings
Imaginations from the Other Side

Wheel of Time
The Bard's Song
Valhalla
Mirror Mirror

Seven Kingdoms was honestly really not that great. They were fiercely generic. Imagine Gamma Ray with a female singer. They're no doubt talented, but their set was really boring, and the music, as stated, horribly generic.

Holy Grail also weren't too special musically, but they were certainly a lot of fun. Mosh pits started opening up towards the end of their set, so it was great to see some energy emerging. The dual guitars were used very effectively, and the singer had a very fun personality on stage. Definitely not a bad opener, but I probably wouldn't buy an album or see them headline.

Blind Guardian slayed, of course, but I did have a few problems with their set. For starters, they didn't get the sound right until the second song, which sucked because i couldn't hear Andre's leads during Sacred Worlds very well.

I was also bothered by the fact that apart from any new material, and Time What is Time, all of the songs played were songs they played last time they hit New York. I got very excited for the tour when i saw the really great gems and variety in the European sets. I mean, after four years, I was just happy to see them anyway, so it wasn't the biggest deal, but i'd love to see Lost in the Twilight Hall, or Bright Eyes, or even some more of the newer songs, but there weren't any real surprises.

The band played great, but Hansi seemed to reserve a lot of his power for the new songs, which is fine, and he honestly sang better than i remember tonight than last time at BBkings.

Overall a great show, and i implore fans and newcomers alike to go see it. BG are so much fun live, and their songs are so conducive to a live setting. You will not find any of the flaws I mentioned before enough to tarnish the unbelievable experience that is Blind Guardian.