View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

High On Fire -- San Francisco, CA -- September 29th, 2010

What a show. Torche was the standout for me, HOF was killer and sounded as good or better than ever, but this is at least the 7th time I've seen them in about 2 and a half years. The good thing is that I've heard at least one song I haven't heard before every time.

Kylesa wasn't bad but didn't seem on top of their game, it sounded like they were holding their voices back since it was the first night of the tour. Also it wasn't very loud, the drums weren't mic'ed so it was basically at garage band volume. Apparently they're the main hipster band which I don't understand at all, but I definitely saw some fools with Chrome bags and rimmed glasses doing the lazy neck headbang.
Merch included 3-4 shirts at $15-20 and a hoodie, belts, screen prints of the 2 latest albums ($15/30) and a $12 belt.
* indicates all the new songs from Spiral Shadow, out next month.

Kylesa
Hollow Server
Unknown Awareness
Running Red
Tired Climb *
Said and Done
Forsaken *
Only One
? * [edit: pretty sure it was Crowded Road]
This * [edit: Don't Look Back]
Scapegoat

I was a little skeptical about 3 piece Torche live, but my doubts went out the door. The guitar tone was amazing (this is coming off seeing Sleep a few weeks ago fyi), and the guitarist made good use of effects to fill any gaps. I was a little disappointed not to hear at least Healer and a few other songs I thought would be gimmies. I don't think Tarpit Carnivore is the greatest song but it was an awesome closer, how you say... heavy as fuck?

Torche
Pirana
Sandstorm
In Return
Songs for Singles (not in order, I'm pretty sure In Return was in the middle of it somewhere)
?
Charge of the Brown Recluse
Tarpit Carnivore

Somebody fucked up the 2 lousy samples in the whole set, so that The Path was the intro music leading into Turk, which was confusing, then the lead in to Turk played before FFP oh well. Like I said, I'm running out of fingers to count how many times I've seen these guys and they finally play Blessed Black Wings, and it was everything I expected. Silverback was a big surprise too, and it was way more intense live. Zion and FFP were the other standouts, it's kind of sad that songs like Turk and Tiamat are getting old. And I just noticed, no Devilution

High On Fire
Turk
Frost Hammer
BLESSED BLACK WINGS
Waste of Tiamat
Blood From Zion [Edit: actually Bahgdad]
Rumors
Bastard Samurai
Fire, Flood & Plague
Eyes & Teeth
Silverback
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
-
Snakes For the Divine

Last edited by TonyD; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.