View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 11:41 AM
In Search of Truth

Ultimately, I think Brad is making the right point. Overall more diversity is probably the best way to attempt to bring in new people, but it's next to impossible to fill out a diverse bill with the "right" bands to actually make that work. Instead what's happening is that there's far too much diversity to make the lineup work for people in the festival's "traditional" style bracket. Being that yes, 75% of the people going each year travel and thusly spend upwards of $1,000 on the whole thing. That's a lot to ask if people only genuinely want to see 1/3 of the lineup or less. Sure, it can be a fun way to give new bands a shot, but the bottom line is that I (as well as most people I know) are not going to drop that sort of money on traveling to a festival where they only want to see 2 or 3 bands on the whole bill. Especially considering even the bands on this bill I actually like aren't even close to being any of my favorite bands or anything.

Ultimately this lineup is missing one major "bread and butter" type band that is perfectly within the festival's style and tradition, that is sure to fill seats solely on their inclusion. Examples would have been Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Evergrey, Kamelot, Angra, or something else to that effect. In order to make a lineup like this work, I think they really need to nail down each night with a headliner like that.