View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
It's not nearly as heavy as all the material prior to it. Granted Show No Mercy has a very speed metal feel to it, but they still did that more effectively than whatever SoH is supposed to be. Ghosts of War is the only song that really retains the proper thrashiness and the rest of the 'thrash' riffs feel like lamer versions of ones found on Reign. The song structures are not exciting at all, the entire thing feels slowed down. The vocals are complete shit. Honestly, I don't know what happened to Tom Araya. He could just as well be singing in an alternative rock band. Melodic, clean Slayer vox suck and he just gave up on the awesome evil vocals that dominated Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood. The production of the album feels like they were trying to sell it to a more mainstream crowd but falls short of totally going in that direction, leaving it with a weird lack of the intense 'metal' sound they used to have.
Mandatory Suicide is an awful, annoying song. Especially the "Suicide...Suicide" part. I can't express how much I hate that.
yeah I definitely get what you're saying. I think the slower, more mid-tempo songs work in their favor, though (not saying I don't prefer fast Slayer ) Just saying that I don't think they should only stick with speed.
"Mandatory Suicide" shouldn't be a staple. The riff is godly but the song itself is not.
I don't really care about the lack of yelling, I think the singing fits well here.