View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I tried once again to get into this band thanks to Nat's raving. I respect what you get out of them, but dude, I just can't do it. I get the Clutch comparison, that both bands have their goofy, tongue-in-cheek, and yes, "obnoxious" moments, but when Clutch sing "Oo ee oo ah ah B-I-N-G-O, oo ee oo ah ah E-I-E-I-O", the delivery is Neil's awesome roar, and the music behind it fucking rocks harder than balls. I feel like Primus wants to be weird, so Les decided to make the instruments and his voice sound as weird as possible. And it is weird, he succeded. But it's just not fun to listen to for me, at all. Sorry Natty, I tried.
Yeah, I can respect that. I've said it many times before - you either love PRIMUS or you hate 'em - there's really no in between. You're right, Clutch hits you very differently than PRIMUS does, and that is most definitely by design. Having said this, I don't particularly think Les is trying to be different just for the sake of being different, I just think he's just a seriously eccentric dude who is doing exactly what he wants to do, regardless of how it sells or how people react to it. It just so happens that a lot of folks "get it", and those are his fans - and I think he's fine with that.

Hell, I appreciate that you even tried. Big ups for being open-minded enough to do even that. Chances are, if you haven't been bitten by the Les Claypool bug by now (see photo below), you probably never will.

EDIT: By the way, what did you listen to? I could have suggested a "Best of" list...

Last edited by Natrlhi; 08-06-2010 at 11:07 AM.