View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Headbanger

I know I'm in the minority but I love Opiate. 2 of my 5 favorite tool songs are on that album. I'll never forget the day I drove to the last "true" record store in MD and I couldn't leave without buying something. I had to justify my 50 min drive so I grabbed Prong - Force Fed and Tool - Opiate for $5.99 and $3.99 respectively. Not sure I've ever spent a better $10 clams in my life.

I only bought Opiate because of the song titles. Opiate, Jerk-off and I actually thought Hush might be a Deep Purple cover and if I didn't like it I could sell it back next week for $2.

I remember Sweat being ok for the 1st half then where the guitar solo normally is there was this incredible drum lick that I immediately loved.

Hush cam on and it was the story of my life. I have no filter. Whatever I think comes out of my trap so those lyrics really had special meaning to me.

Wasn't fond of Part of Me really but when Cold and Ugly kicked in with "Throw that Bob Marley wanna-be Mother Fucker outta here" YEEAHHHHHHHHHHH! I knew I was gonna like the song. The time changes and intricate drumming had me hooked instantly. I knew then that Danny Carey was one of the best drummers I would ever hear.

Then came the 2 best back-to-back songs in the history of music to me. The anger, passion and emotion of Jerk-off is like nothing I had or still have ever heard. It is my favorite song of all time and probably will be until the day I die. Anger is a gift and that is the most angry song ever penned.

When Jerk-Off ends with "SHOOT YOU IN YOUR FUCKING HEAD!" going right into those beautiful chords of Opiate and the incredibly relatable lyrics that come next, it's mind-blowing to me. The emotional rollercoaster of those 2 songs is pure genius. I knew I was a huge Tool fan instantly and was surprised to find that was their 1st album. It struck me as more of a polished EP. A few weeks later Undertow came out and Tool blew up. I'm so glad I got to see them on that Tour and got to hear virtually all of Opiate live at that show.

For that reason alone I'd have to rate the Tool albums:

1) Aenima
2) Lateralus
3) Opiate
4) Undertow
5) 10K Years

As much as I love Vicarious and Right in Two I haven't had 10K Years engulf me like the others have. The Pot, Jambi & Rosetta Stoned are all solid but after hearing them live several times I like them but they don't possess me like some other Tool songs do.

46&2, Eulogy, Stinkfist, Hooker, Aenima & 3rd Eye all on the same cd with other solid songs H, Jimmy and Pushit. Masterpiece! Most bands go their entire career and don't write that many incredible songs and they're all on the same cd.

All Hail Tool!