View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post

I swear I'm one of like 10 people who liked that.

In my opinion, the worst setlist they've ever done was probably the Dance of Death tour. Aside from the 6 new songs + Brave New World and lord of the Flies, it was terrible. Wrathchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, Hallowed, Fear of the Dark, and Iron Maiden. Now granted, it's not that they're bad songs - it's just that they're all overplayed hits, most of which most hardcore Maiden fans don't need to keep seeing. At least on the Amolad tour, they played even more new material (which I consider good because the album tour was the only chance for them to ever do most of it), and they played The Evil That Men Do and 2 Minutes to Midnight - two hits, that while overplayed, are at least undoubtedly two of Maiden's most loved hits.
I can understand why people didn't like all of AMOLAD being played live. I never saw them on that tour but I can see how the album can lose people's attention live. Even though it's a very good album it does drag a bit from Ben Breeg on. All the songs follow the same format and the soft intros/outros on all of them sometimes annoy me. So I can imagine that live it might have been a downer for a lot of people as well. Especially if you think Maiden was driving that song format into the ground on that album which I think they most deffinately were. Some songs it works on but four songs in a row like that doesn't for a lot of people. Because it's like hearing the same song four times in a row. As much as I love them they need to stop with the whole FOTD song format. I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish with it but it's gotten tired now. Open your damn songs up with kick ass riffs like you used to guys!!!

I agree with the DOD set being their worst one. Nothing particularly special at all with that tours selections. Even a nice surprise like LOTF falls flat because the on the DOTR version it sounds like Bruce would rather be doing something else other than singing the song.