View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
We're dying on the inside

Favorite directors

Talking to manks in the Takashi Miike thread kinda made me think about this. We don't tend to talk about our favorite albums without the context of who our favorite bands are, or even our favorite books without considering them in the context of the careers of their authors (or at least I don't), and directors are the creative force behind movies, so let's talk about them! Also, let it be known that I'm an obsessive director fan. I think the average American moviegoer decides what movies to see because of the cast, but I'm generally most intrigued by the director (or the source material, but we've talked about comic book movies a thousand times before ). So, favorite directors, favorite films by them, comments on their style...please share, I love talking about this shit.

Coen Brothers
Favorite movies: "The Big Lebowski," "Fargo," "No Country for Old Men," most of their others to a slightly lesser degree
I basically worship these cats. Favorite director/directing team of all time, best dialogue writers on the planet, best at structure, and I think they generally just make some of the most riveting, watchable movies. They've had a couple misses, but their career batting average is something like .900 in my book.

David Lynch
Favorite movies: "Mulholland Dr.," "Eraserhead," "Blue Velvet"
The only dude who I'll throw hours of my life into understanding his movies fully. It's not pretentious, ego-stroking shit...it's just somewhat inaccessible filmmaking that is truly rewarding once you get a grasp of it. Also, the one mainstream film of his I've seen, "The Elephant Man," is also fantastic.

Christopher Nolan
Favorite movies: "The Dark Knight," "The Prestige," "Memento"
He's just an amazing storyteller. He tells the most interesting stories and throws in the most phenomenal twists, and at the end of the day, he's basically making action movies and thrillers. But rather than insulting his audience with drooling badassery and fight scenes, he makes interesting films in a genre that deserves them but rarely gets them. Soooo excited for "Inception" next month.

Spike Jonze
Favorite movies: "Adaptation," "Where the Wild Things Are," "Being John Malkovich" (incidentally, that's all of his movies)
Can't say enough about how great I think he is. Unfortunately, he doesn't take much work, but that has done wonders for his batting average - 1.000, if you ask me. Sadly lumped in with hipster directors like Wes Anderson and Michael Gondry but way better, way less pretentious, and with a pretty unique vision. Unconsciously makes cult movies, which is cool.

Stanley Kubrick
Favorite movies: "The Shining," "A Clockwork Orange," "Full Metal Jacket"
An absolute grade A fucking legend. Just about everything he's ever done is a classic at some level, and I doubt if I get any flak about putting him up here.

Honorable mentions: Peter Jackson, Clint Eastwood, Terry Gilliam, Milos Forman, Wes Craven (pre-Scream)

Dishonorable mention: Tim Burton - would have made the top five when I was 15. Then I stopped being 15. Only movies he's directed that I still like are the ones that look nothing like Tim Burton movies - Ed Wood and Big Fish.