View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Bruised, hoarse, tired, sweaty, pained, and I had way more fun than you

Thanks, Mastodon421, for getting a lot of the lists. Here’s a few more mixed in with my rather verbose reviews.

Acaro played first downstairs. They’re the Palladium’s local opening band. Any time there’s a huge tour, they’re there first. While I'm not overly excited by them yet, I was impressed with their performance quality and how well put together they are for a local group.

Swashbuckle opened upstairs, and as usual got an amazing reaction from the crowd. Yes, they are a one-trick pony. No, a lot of New England fans do not care. Admiral Nobeard taunted us between songs with phrases such as “I want to see a circle pit as big as your mother’s vagina!” and yelling at people to jump on stage. It worked. We did.

I checked out Lecherous Nocturne, but honestly don’t remember thinking much except for “This is cool.” I did get most of their list:

?
Requiem For Insects
Edict of Worms
We Are As Dust

I really had nothing to do for a few hours, but entertained myself by watching Periphery and Chelsea Grin… wtf are these bands thinking?! They both had three guitarists and were breakdown driven drivel. I did get one kick out of Chelsea Grin, though. They stand in a V-formation with the singer in the middle with his arms out to the side… then they all head/knee-bang. It looks like a flock of dying seagulls. I’ll upload the vid if I can figure out how.

Gaza were AMAZING. Just… wow… and yay… and wow and yay some more. Wow. Yay.

I’ve never heard of Tony Danza Tap whatever and don’t intend to again. They weren’t creative, they weren’t unique, they weren’t interesting, they weren’t anything. Their fans, however, are hilarious air-fighting, donkey-kicking, crowd-surf / fighting at the same time assholes. The only reason I could consider it funny was because I was watching from the rail above. You couldn’t have paid me to go down to the floor.

Sorry, mastodon421 – I actually really enjoyed Holy Grail . I spent most of their set thinking “Why haven’t I heard of these guys before?” They were also a really really refreshing change from the –core I had been assaulted with for the few hours before. I’ll check them out more later.

Cattle Decapitation were hard and heavy and disgusting and wonderful. They’re one of those groups that I don’t adore listening to, but do love to go to shows for. I’ll be there the next time they come around.

Impending Doom. Yup. There they were. I sure did keep my spot on the barrier for Skeletonwitch.

Skeletonwitch were amazing as always. To make up for their lack of time, they ripped from song to song with almost no breathing time in between. It was my fourth time seeing them in recent memory, and my first chance to see Nate’s talent up close. Very cool. I hope they always play Sacrifice for the Slaughtergod, and always have the same energy.

The Red Chord
. I like their poofy beards. Not my thing.

Eluveitie took a while to set up, but I was unsurprised due to the sheer number of instruments they have. Very, very cool set and I will never cease to be impressed by their coordination and camaraderie. The crowd moshed very little. I think everyone just wanted to listen to the purty music.

Slightly modified setlist:
Nil
Thousandfold?
Grey Sublime Archon
Bloodstained Ground
Inis Mona
Quoth The Raven
Kingdom Come Undone
Tegernako

WhiteChapel. Oh, how I despise WhiteChapel. I’m going to leave it at that.

JFAC… I’m frightened. I don’t know if it was because I had just suffered through WC and anything else would’ve sounded better… or if the drumming was just interesting enough… or if I was that exhausted… but I didn’t hate them. In fact, I honestly had a good time during their set. I fully intend to check out the one Death Metal album I was informed they produced. I must be nuts.

Amon Amarth was the band of the night for me. They are wonderful in every way, shape, and form. I can't wait to see them again. The crowd thinned out a bit after JFAC and there were the perfect number of people for throwing horns, dancing around, and mostly appropriate moshing. They got a great reaction.

A ton of people left before and during Cannibal Corpse, but they did play until 1:15 AM. Their performance was great as always, but it was evident that both Corpsegrinder and the audience were exhausted. Everyone was making an effort to keep going, but after 13+ hours of metal, I think we had a decent excuse to be tired. Great set anyway.

Setlist yanked from the Richmond date and slightly moved around. The order is probably still wrong.

Scalding Hail
Unleashing the Bloodthirsty
Pit of Zombies
The Wretched Spawn
Pounded Into Dust
I Will Kill You
The Cryptic Stench
Gutted
A Skull Full of Maggots
Death Walking Terror
Savage Butchery
Scattered Remains, Splattered Brains
Disfigured
Make Them Suffer
Priests of Sodom
Evisceration Plague
Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead
Hammer Smashed Face

Side notes:

Tons of bands and band members were hanging out in the parking lot next the Palladium, and I kept passing them while walking back and forth to my car. Everyone that I spoke with was really cool, and I actually felt a little strange knowing exactly who some of them were, but not wanting to talk to them because I didn’t enjoy their music specifically.

More specifically, I ran into Pat (aka: Admiral Nobeard) multiple times throughout the day. First to get a pic with him, and afterwards just because we happened to be in the same places. He’s a really cool, vulgar dude and seems like a fun person to hang out with. We talked about crowd reactions (New York sucks) amongst other things, and he says that Swashbuckle far prefers small venues. At one point he saw that I was bummed over my lack of cash for a Deceased CD (I can never find them and feel like ordering via mail is cheating), and actually purchased it for me because “Not enough people in this world listen to Deceased.” I totally owe him a beer or two.

Mastodon421 hides well in an enormous crowd. Damn it.

Fuck you, Manky. I was not going to suffer through Rose Funeral just for your own amusement.

Last edited by Chyck; 04-25-2010 at 07:59 PM.