View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 AM
We're dying on the inside

Alcest -- Chicago, IL -- April 24th, 2010

I don't feel like typing the accents, so here's some anglicized French for the setlist:

Printemps Emeraude
Les Iris
Solar Song
Ecailles de Lune - Part 1
Sur L'Ocean Couleur de Fer
Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Percees de Lumiere
--
Elevation

In a word, amazing. In a few more, this was easily the best set of the year so far. At times the beauty was paralyzing, somehow Neige (along with new full-time member Winterhalter on drums and two stand-in members on bass and the other guitar) managed to transport us to the dreamworld that he sings about. When "Printemps Emeraude" kicked in, we left Chicago and went to his world of childhood innocence and great, green pastures, not to return to Earth until the set was over. I could not wipe the shit-eating grin off of my face the entire time they were playing; it was that magnificent.

Highlights were as soon as the electric riff kicked in on "Printemps Emeraude," the knowing smile on Neige's face when he strummed the clean intro to "Ecailles de Lune" and the crowd erupted in anticipatory applause, the entirety of the unspeakably beautiful "Sur l'Ocean Coeleur de Fer," which Neige and Zero played and sang from chairs, and the last two songs where Neige reminded everyone that he can still do black metal vocals, too.

Openers were Chicago acts Velnias and Clad in Darkness. Both were really great and played slightly different interpretations of post-rock/black metal in the vein of Wolves in the Throne Room. Check them out.

But yeah, last night was all about Alcest.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 04-25-2010 at 04:45 PM.