View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Well, most of these (all) are opinions but yeah, we can call em "supreme musical truth" if ya want.

- Modern metal fucking sucks.

- Extreme metal (with a few exceptions, Carcass, Mayhem, Bolt Thrower, Immortal, etc) fucking sucks. I used to love black/death metal but within the past year or so I've come to realize that virtually none of it can hold my attention for an entire album. Much of it is so monotonous and the lack of originality is unbearable.

-Led Zep is god tier. I used to dislike them but now I see that was stupid.

- I have a very hard time getting into new bands or recently released albums. I'm very happy with the music I have so when I go to try out a new band if they're not really great my thought is "Fuck this, I could be listening to Mob Rules or South of Heaven right now."

-AC/DC doesn't suck. Sure many songs are very samey but when they get it right, they get it right.

-Alice in Chains rules. That is all.

-Hendrix is overrated. Sure he's got a ton of talent but meh, he's not quite as good as everyone says.

-Metallica are still a force to be reckoned with live. Yeah, Lars sucks and James can't sing well anymore but I've never seen a band interact so well with their fans and just act like they're having the time of their lives even though it had to have been the millionth time they've stood on a stage and played those same songs. Much respect.
I agree with most of what you've said here. Just a few random thoughts on each one.

Mordern Metal: Has a handful of bands I do like but there isn't anything that impresses the hell out of me too much. Too many bands sounding the same and hardly anyone is creating an individual idenity musically or vocally.

Extreme Metal: The same thing you said. I'll just add that just because something is heavy and brutal doesn't make it good. You have to have good songs in all aspects. Writting something fast and heavy and nothing else doesn't automatically make a song good. There's so much more to song writting than that. You've got singers doing their best cookie monster impression on the mic instead of concentrating on good melodies and hooks to get you into a song. Did any of these guys ever hear of Dickinson, Dio or Halford? WTF?

Led Zeppelin: Are deffinately in a class of their own. Without them and Sabbath we wouldn't have hard rock/metal around as we know it today.

Getting into new bands: I to have a hard time with that. Some stuff just takes time to sink in though. But mostly when I try to listen to some newer bands i'm just like you. I turn it off a lot and just end up listening to so Maiden or something.

AC/DC: They don't suck. Sure they've written the same album for the last 35 years but they still sell millions of records and sell out arenas and stadiums around the world. They're the prime example of the pharase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Alice In Chains: Yes, they do rule. They have since the early 90s.

Jimi Hendrix: Was a very good an innovative guitar player. He died young and that's why people hold him so high. That tends to happen when a famous musician dies. People think "what could've been" when it comes to him. He didn't reach his full potential as a muscian when he died at age 27. He didn't accomplish what he "could've" or "should've" and those are the reasons he's praised so much.

Metallica: Always have and always will be a force live. As bad as the Loads and St. Anger were they still killed it live on those tours. They play with more energy than a lot of acts 15-20 years younger than them. When I saw them last year I couldn't believe the energy they put into the show. Considering these guys are gonna be pushing 50 in a few years, that's something for them to be proud of.