View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Well, most of these (all) are opinions but yeah, we can call em "supreme musical truth" if ya want.

- Modern metal fucking sucks.

- Extreme metal (with a few exceptions, Carcass, Mayhem, Bolt Thrower, Immortal, etc) fucking sucks. I used to love black/death metal but within the past year or so I've come to realize that virtually none of it can hold my attention for an entire album. Much of it is so monotonous and the lack of originality is unbearable.

-Led Zep is god tier. I used to dislike them but now I see that was stupid.

- I have a very hard time getting into new bands or recently released albums. I'm very happy with the music I have so when I go to try out a new band if they're not really great my thought is "Fuck this, I could be listening to Mob Rules or South of Heaven right now."

-Pop music is enjoyable if you just listen for the catchy hooks and pretend that other people don't actually believe it takes talent to perform some of those songs (lookin at you, Trey Songz).

-AC/DC doesn't suck. Sure many songs are very samey but when they get it right, they get it right.

-Alice in Chains rules. That is all.

-Hendrix is overrated. Sure he's got a ton of talent but meh, he's not quite as good as everyone says.

-Kiss is god tier as well. I used to subscribe to the whole "Ki$$ is a brand, not a band" mentality but then I saw them live. Amazing performance. Sure, their songs aren't overly technical by any means, the lyrics are kinda dumb, and they usually play it "safe". You know what you're getting when you spin a Kiss album for the first time, but even so, nobody does it like they do. Oh, and Creatures of the Night is the best Kiss album.

-Metallica are still a force to be reckoned with live. Yeah, Lars sucks and James can't sing well anymore but I've never seen a band interact so well with their fans and just act like they're having the time of their lives even though it had to have been the millionth time they've stood on a stage and played those same songs. Much respect.

That was a lot longer than I expected. My taste has changed drastically within the past two years so I guess that'd be why.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac